Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Gage Broken?

I finished cooking some pork belly and country ribs yesterday on the XL egg and decided to open everything up and burn off several years of build up in the egg. I guess you would call it a clean burn.
There was big time black smoke coming out of the dome for quite awhile and the temp gage looked like it pegged out.
I checked it this morning and the inside and plate setter look clean and a bit white in some areas but the temp gage is sitting way below where it normally sits when the egg is cold.
I guess I need to remove it and check with boiling water but am not sure what to do if it's screwed.
Can it be re-calibrated or is it trash if way off the 212 mark?
Also, if I have to get a new one, is there a recommended replacement other the the BGE gage?
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Nut on the back of it for calibration, that’s probably all it needs.  Most pull the therm out when doing a clean burnout this reason.  If it doesn’t recalibrate well, you can get replacements from several places.  I would recommend recalibration with boiling water and then check it maybe at 100 degrees if you have a good instant read digital thermometer to calibrate against.  Two temps is better than just one.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Thanks. I just did that. It was about 40 degrees low but adjusted to 100*C /212*F exactly.
    Also checked against the other thermometer as the water cooled. Should be OK.