Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cyber Q Questions

Options
I went to bed last night and it was at 220, so still higher than I wanted but not too bad. Woke up to 290 around 7 am and now it’s bacn around 260...

what am am I doing wrong to make it jump that high? I lit the grill and got it to about 190 before I plugged the cyber Q in. This isn’t the first time this has happened so it’s going to be user error 
Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    You have too much air getting in. The device can not restrict airflow, only add it.
    close down the top vent more.
    Jacksonville FL
  • tclamberth
    Options
    Dobie said:
    You have too much air getting in. The device can not restrict airflow, only add it.
    close down the top vent more.
    I have the chimney top and it’s maybe a half inch open...do I just need to always have the basically closed?
    Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Move it down to a credit card thickness sliver.
    Jacksonville FL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If it's not the cap, look are the dome seal, or look for a cracked base.  Air is getting in somewhere.
  • baychilla
    Options
    There's only two places air could be entering, the cap or the fan.  Both of which can be adjusted (unless your fan is like mine and the air flow slider is "frozen" in place).
    Near San Francisco in California
  • vcool
    vcool Posts: 26
    Options
    Make sure the slider on your fan is close pretty small (about 1/8th of the total available opening would be my suggested starting point).

What I do when I set up my CyberQ is to get a small fire lit, get it up to about 150 with setter and grid in, then connect the fan.  Usually there is still white smoke at this point (which works in our favour).

I close the top down until is may technically be open but you need to really look at it to tell.  When the fan engages smoke will come out of the top.  If smoke comes out of anywhere other than the top (as in through the gasket, or out around the vent door) I slowly open the top more and more until the top is the only place with smoke coming out.  This assumes you have a gasket...
    Ottawa Canada, Cigars, Hunting, Fishing and Egging