Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket emergency question

I have a probe in the flat and in the point. My flat probe is reading 199 but the probe in the point is only at 189. Which temp should I go by to decide when to pull the brisket out and put it in my Cambro warmer? Didn’t want to over cook the flat or under cook the point. It’s wrapped in foil right now.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Probe the brisket in the flat. If it probes like butter you are done. Might be there at that temp, but sometimes you have to go a few degrees over 200. It’s the probing that is key, the temp just gets you in the door. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited February 2018
    @CincyEgg

Skip temps not important at this point.  Tenderness is the judge of being done.

Probe the thickest part of the flat.  The tip of the flat could be a little over cooked but you can make that into chopped brisket or chili.  The bulk of the flat should probe like butter, no resistance when inserting the probe.

The point will be fine, you can let it rest with the flat or continue to cook it for burnt ends.

If you feel resistance in the thickest part of the flat, it’s not done.  Temperature is just a guide...It’s a finesse game from here...

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Ok, I just didn’t know if I should separate the point once the flat is done. Didn’t want it to be undercooked with all the good fat in that side. I was more looking forward to trying the point than the flat anyways. The first brisket cook has been a little intimidating but hopefully the results are worth it!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @CincyEgg

Depends how you want to eat it.  Slice the point with the flat like @lousubcap suggests and you’ll have the highlight of the show.  If you want to make burnt ends, than separate it and toss it back on while the flat rests.

Your call but either way you’re in for some great food for the big game!  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • CincyEgg
    Thanks @RedSkip

I was gonna try to leave them together to get the point and flat sliced at the same time. I’ve read a lot about the burnt ends and I’m sure I’ll try them soon but I was just hoping to keep it all together for my first cook to see what I prefer.

If the brisket didn’t turn out embarrassingly dry or anything, I’ll try to get some pics up this afternoon. I may have misjudged the size brisket I would need but always heard that the larger ones tend to be a little more forgiving. It was 14.5lbs after trimming on Friday so I may have to find a good brisket chili recipe if there’s somehow any letftovers.
  • CincyEgg
    Thanks for that recipe link! It looks unique compared to a lot of others I’ve seen so I may actually do that one.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Great advice above.  When it comes time for the slicing, remember to only slice against the grain and on demand.  Also give the Franklin brisket slicing you tube video a look as it makes the whole process easy to understand and execute.  Linked here: slicing starts around 7 minutes in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CincyEgg
    Thanks @lousubcap

i actually read somewhere that it’s not a bad idea to slice against the grain on the corner of the flat before you even smoke the brisket to have a point of reference later on.

the franklin video definitely makes it seem less daunting than reading about it. 
  • lousubcap
    That tip about slicing across the flat grain before you start is one I found somewhere several years ago and it is definitely a good idea.  Once you create the meteorite figuring out the grain pattern can be quite a challenge.  Enjoy the remainder of the cook and follow-on eats.  
    Give the cow around 20 minutes of a cooling rack rest once you declare victory before the FTC to stop the carry-over cooking.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CincyEgg
    Man I wish I would’ve seen this earlier. I took the brisket out and there was only about a 10 minute gap between the egg and the cooler...live and learn I guess 
  • lousubcap
    @CincyEgg     Given all the variables, 10 minutes is better than no minutes.
    I just sent you a PM with more than you will likely care about regarding brisket cooks.  FWIW-
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    And remember, the first rule of Egghead Forum is: pics or it didn't happen! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• pgprescott
    JacksDad said:
    And remember, the first rule of Egghead Forum is: pics or it didn't happen! 

Yeah, so far this is like a @HeavyG cook. 
  • CincyEgg
    Hey sorry for the delay on the pics. Had to make a grocery run for the rest of the menu. Thanks to everyone for all the last minute advice! Brisket turned out great and just as juicy as I could’ve hoped for. Haven’t sliced it all yet because I didn’t want to dry it out too early but it’s gonna make a good lunch.

i went with the Meathead beef rub and was pleased with it, but I would definitely add more black pepper than what was recommended the next time around. 

Overall, I’m pretty pleased for my first attempt and am already looking forward to more!

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Hey-Zoos that looks god!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    That looks fantastic.
  • lousubcap
    Way to bring it home.  You have set the bar quite high right out of the gate.  Nailed it.  Congrats.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You should be very pleased- from here it looks like you nailed it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks great, now I’m craving brisket.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • pgprescott
    Gonna be hard to top that. Bravo!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    No way that's your first brisket... that's perfect!   And great pics too! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • CincyEgg
    Aww shucks thanks everyone. Really appreciate the compliments. I was pretty excited to get some good pics posted on here after seeing all the excellent food you all make. My wife just got a new softbox light for her photography so I dragged it through the kitchen to get a little better lighting haha.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Nail’d it!! :clap:
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I think you can declare victory to the Brisket Gods.  Nicely done!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • You nailed it...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    That's some beautiful looking grub there.  A true beauty
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • GoooDawgs said:
    He cooked that brisket like he's done it before Right? 

Good looking. 
  • CincyEgg
    GoooDawgs said:
    He cooked that brisket like he's done it before Right? 

Good looking. 
    Haha this is the definition of beginners luck. I was taking notes during the cook and even with all that, I’m sure the 2nd one won’t turn out like this one did. 

I once cooked a flat on my old pit barrel cooker and had no idea what I was doing. Mad at myself that it took me over 6 months with my egg to finally brave a brisket cook.