Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella!

SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
edited February 2018 in EggHead Forum
I’ve been itching for paella. I whipped up a simple paella with Spanish chorizo and some frozen shrimp. 
Getting the hearth ready. 

I’ve got everything cut up.

Cook the protein.

Next I cooked the soffrito. Then added the rice and stock (with saffron).

Now you just have to let things get happy. 

Check for the soccarat and pull the paella when it’s ready. 

Cover with a towel for 5-10minutes. Then garnish and serve. 

This did not disappoint. Cheers! Life is good my friends. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• I still hate you...  looks great!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    @JohnnyTarheel Lol, thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Wow, that looks amazing. Way above my skill level.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Man that looks good. And you have such an awesome outdoor setup
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Always a winner.  Congrats on nailing your signature dish.  Dang-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You sir are my backyard cook hero!!   That paella looks off the freakin charts.   Way cool coming on the hearth.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • “simple paella” is an oxymoron if I ever saw one.  Next time I’m in Texas, I’m definitely coming to visit man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Slammin 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Fantastic.  I could totally go for some of that.  Okay a LOT of that!
    Cheers, and continue to enjoy that awesome space you have.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SciAggie
    @Mattman3969 Believe it or not, I think it’s easier to control the cook with a wood fire. The secret is to use small pieces of wood. They flame quickly and then die off - you have to tend the fire but you have good control. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @JohnInCarolina You are welcome any time. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You are killin me

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    @northGAcock Thank you sir. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Jacksonville FL
  • SciAggie
    @Dobie Thank you kindly. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You my friend are the master.  I've made paella maybe 10 times, I only want to eat yours.  Invites welcomed.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    @bgebrent You are welcome at my table any time. Thanks for the kind words. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Your cooks, should be on National Geographic, especially the editions that will focus on the wonders of the world.
    Beautiful cook, in a fabulous kitchen space by one of the absolute best on the forum.
    Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    @YukonRon My friend, I don’t know what to say. Thank you for the kind words. I just have a lot of fun playing with fire and cooking. I hope to get to cook for you some day. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    OutFockingstanding sir.
    That last pic...
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Goodness gracious, that looks terrific! Really great work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Beautiful!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Looks amazing.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Killer!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• What is the date for Paella Camp in Texas this year? 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• pdevoy
    pdevoy Posts: 25
    great cook brother!!!! PLEASE post the recipe..... 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited February 2018
    I've never eaten a Paella. Need to get on this! Yours looks amazing.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • You are The King!!  El Rey de Paella!!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SciAggie
    I've never eaten a Paella. Need to get on this! Yours looks amazing.
    That is a problem that needs to be fixed my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon