Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood shipment arrived in only 3 days! Can't wait to try it!

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge

Comments

• 3x20lb bags for $80 with free freight!
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    You won't be disappointed 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    We appreciate your money!!  :P
  • Been using Royal Oak for the last 4 years.  It works good, and I have little to complain about besides a rock or two per bag.  Is this stuff that good?
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Been using Royal Oak for the last 4 years.  It works good, and I have little to complain about besides a rock or two per bag.  Is this stuff that good?
    Everyone has their own opinion. Personally it is what I use regularly and it is pretty mild on smoke flavor. I can always add my desired wood to enhance it to my liking.  Buy yourself a bag and see what you think.

XL BGE
    MD
  • dsrguns said:
    Been using Royal Oak for the last 4 years.  It works good, and I have little to complain about besides a rock or two per bag.  Is this stuff that good?
    Everyone has their own opinion. Personally it is what I use regularly and it is pretty mild on smoke flavor. I can always add my desired wood to enhance it to my liking.  Buy yourself a bag and see what you think.
    Very true!
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    I agree completely with above 2 posts....I was happy with royal oak ... Comments here made me try rockwood... I ain't going back...
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • Blackhawk hardware off Park Rd in Charlotte carries it as well, about $26 per bag I believe. May be worth checking out if shipping is expensive.
  •  rockwood seems to consistently have larger pieces and less smoke. I was skeptical until I tried it. Worth the money and effort to get it in my opinion.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    I’ve always used Royal Oak, but I picked up a couple bags of Rockwood today. It’s not available locally but I found some an hour North of me while on a small road trip. It will be used on a couple racks of ribs and a spatched chicken tomorrow. I heard there was a football game on an Sunday I’ll need some grub to watch it properly. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • stlcharcoal
     rockwood seems to consistently have larger pieces and less smoke. I was skeptical until I tried it. Worth the money and effort to get it in my opinion.
    It's usually a one or the other deal.  Very little smoke = lack of wood = higher carbon = very brittle.  Sounds like the freight guys treated that pallet well.  You may run into some smaller pieces some day, but don't worry, it all burns the same.

I take home the bags that are beat to hell--the ones I hit or run over the with the forklift, or drop test.  I just dump them in my BGE, and it all burns.  I leave bags outside, they get rained on, and the next day after a few hours in the sun, they light up.....little slower than normal, but again it all burns.

Carbon is very resilient, which is why the caveman invented and used charcoal rather than just using wood. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Rockwood is good stuff!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    Finally finished all my Royal Oak this weekend. I opened the case of Rockwood I ordered. Wow! Never going back! Much cleaner burning charcoal!
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    I’ve been using FOGO super premium. Is Rockwood really better than that? I’ve never used it, but I think the FOGO is legit. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Skrullb said:
    I’ve been using FOGO super premium. Is Rockwood really better than that? I’ve never used it, but I think the FOGO is legit. 
    FOGO is probably third or fourth on the list of ones I've tried while Rockwood is my favorite. Ozark was also great stuff, but no longer available. I think it's worth a few extra bucks, and if you're using FOGO it's probably in the ballpark on price. Given the ability through ACE, I can't think of any reason to not try it and decide for yourself.
    Stillwater, MN
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    I agree that once you try it, you will never go back to Royal Oak.   Far superior smoke flavor.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    edited April 2018
    It's called Rockwood cause there is wood and rocks in every bag.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• stlcharcoal
    It's called Rockwood cause there is wood and rocks in every bag.

........Which is why we overload each bag with at least a 1/2 # extra.  Weigh the bags--they're at least 21# including the 1/2# of paper.

It's an all-natural product made the same way it was 100-200 years ago......it's never going to be perfect.  We try, but a char-dust covered rock looks just like a chunk of charcoal coming down the line.

Only way I've been able to devise to flush out any rocks, including the encased rocks, is to float the charcoal across a water bath.  But then we're going to be selling you a bag of water heavy charcoal that's hard to light and smoky.  Better to take the rock.  
  • jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Hey I'm not complaining. It's great stuff!

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Makes sense to overfill now.
    Mountain View, CA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Just opened my second bag yesterday. 

Love everything about it. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited April 2018
    I've got 60# of RO left, as soon it's down to one bag I'm ordering.  Now that they've got that stupid CA Prop 65 crap covered.  Looking forward to trying it out finally
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA