Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

super bowl ribs! Smoke then sous vide or sous vide and just the finish?

Options
I hit up Costco for a Chuck Roast (pulled beef) and some baby backs - they are both first time cooks....

Would love input on cooking the baby backs - method #1  -  smoke first then sous vide then finish real hot or #2  -  straight into the water and then smoke for a few hours after?  Do the ribs get the smoke when they have already been cooked to say 165 degrees?  

It is Super Bowl Sunday and I dont want to muck it up!  I know I can just use the egg.  I want to see if I prefer the ribs sous vide or not.

Really appreciate any input and especially adding opinions on time and temps for your best method?  

Go Eagles - I am tired of the Pat's beating my Bills!!!

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    i am a fan of Sous Vide ribs. Rub+ some liquid smoke, then in the bath @ 150 for 18 hours then 20-30 minutes on the grill (or in the oven) with sauce to char them up.  That's my go to method these days.

you can cook even them on saturday, put them in the fridge and then finish them on sunday before the game if you want.

Go Eagles.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    325 for 90 minutes and enjoy. No need to draaaaaggg it out for the same results.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Atl_Buckeye
    Options
    I just can't wrap my head around how popular of a topic Sous Vide is on an Egg board. I'm pretty new to the board and to the BGE and don't mean any disrespect. I'm sure that Sous Vide is great but is certainly not what I see as the same joy and art of actual grilling/smoking. 

No offense but LIQUID smoke on ribs???? 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just can't wrap my head around how popular of a topic Sous Vide is on an Egg board. I'm pretty new to the board and to the BGE and don't mean any disrespect. I'm sure that Sous Vide is great but is certainly not what I see as the same joy and art of actual grilling/smoking. 

No offense but LIQUID smoke on ribs???? 
    You don't like a perfectly cooked steak? The most tender and juicy chicken breast you've ever had? @JohnInCarolina's chocolate pots?

It's a tool to be used along with the egg. Many of us here a foodies in general. We like the gadgets, cookware, knives, etc..

And if Off Topic, non-egg related things erk you, don't visit on Friday nights
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Atl_Buckeye
    Options
    I'm in no way erk'ed or find it off putting at all. I like that the board isn't Nazi'esk and welcomes discussions that veer from strictly BGE stuff. I also like the gadgets and things. I'm just surprised at the amount of Sous Vide discussion on a grilling/smoking board is all. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    I'm in no way erk'ed or find it off putting at all. I like that the board isn't Nazi'esk and welcomes discussions that veer from strictly BGE stuff. I also like the gadgets and things. I'm just surprised at the amount of Sous Vide discussion on a grilling/smoking board is all. 
    Gotcha. 

Here, buy this and thank me later. Seriously

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Circulator/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1517417792&sr=1-3&keywords=anova

BTW, welcome to the board. Lots of good info here
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Gotcha. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Circulator/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1517417792&sr=1-3&keywords=anova

Oh man, $70 off WiFi. I have some explaining to do in 2 days when that package shows up. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I’m with ColtsFan.  Call me old school, ignorant, or a dumbass, but this sous vide stuff is getting ridiculous.  Liquid smoke??? That’s blasphemy!  Sous vide is a glorified crockpot.  Man up & put some smoke on the ribs.  Ribs without smoke ain’t ribs, they’re the McRib.  Geez, soon you guys will be putting ketchup on your steaks. 

What do do you think Myron Mixon would say about your sous vide?
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Gotcha. 

That seems like a waste of good money. Let me point you in the right direction :)

https://www.chefsteps.com/joule
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
  • Paul B.
    Options
    It's just another toy....  I got one for Xmas and it has it's place IMHO...

I made baby backs yesterday - in the water for 10 hours and then on the grill for 30 minutes.  (NO LIQUID SMOKE!  I agree blasphemy) The ribs were tender and cooked to perfection texture wise.  What they didn't have was any smoke on em.  I haven't ever gotten the tenderness out of smoked ribs on the egg like what I had last night.  Next I am going to try to smoke for 90 minutes first and then into the water for 10-14 hours.  I know it is more work and may seem foolish to some but my kid just scarfed down the left overs and gave me another high five!

Lastly, I smoked two Chuck Roasts on the egg - followed a recipe from here - smoked 3 hours and then into a pan with Au Jus, peppers onions and jalapeno.  Some may say braising is cheating but the boss gave me the thumbs up to do it again.....       
  • baychilla
    Options
    I've had an Anova SV circulator for a while now and am waiting on the new and improved version thats supposed to be more like the Chef Steps Joule.  That being said, IME it doesn't pair as well with the egg as some people claim.  Using the SV first kills any chance of a smoke ring, it also seems to mute smoke absorption.  So if you want quasi BBQd foods its fine, otherwise IME not so much (IME after the fact its even worse).  That being said, for steak, and chicken bits its amazing.  SV+grill = awesome (and better yet, repeatable).

Near San Francisco in California
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    baychilla said:
    I've had an Anova SV circulator for a while now and am waiting on the new and improved version thats supposed to be more like the Chef Steps Joule.  That being said, IME it doesn't pair as well with the egg as some people claim.  Using the SV first kills any chance of a smoke ring, it also seems to mute smoke absorption.  So if you want quasi BBQd foods its fine, otherwise IME not so much (IME after the fact its even worse).  That being said, for steak, and chicken bits its amazing.  SV+grill = awesome (and better yet, repeatable).

Putting them on the Egg cold helps with absorption.  In my experience, I get a reasonable amount of smoke flavor that way.  You don't get the ring, that is true, but I'm more about flavor and texture than appearance.  

I don't think the point of SV then Egg is about smoke.  It's about consistency.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    baychilla said:

Putting them on the Egg cold helps with absorption.  In my experience, I get a reasonable amount of smoke flavor that way.  You don't get the ring, that is true, but I'm more about flavor and texture than appearance.  

If you want a ring, just add some pink salt. And not Himalayan pink salt, the real stuff, sodium nitrite.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Sous Vide has been around for a while in commercial kitchens.  It has gotten more popular for home cooks just recently. Major price reductions for the immersion circulators in the last year have led to a lot of home cooks having this new toy.

Sous Vide and grilling are made for each other.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Paul B.
    Options

baychilla said:

Do you finish them on the egg around 350 degrees?  Ever try smoking before putting them in the bath??

I agree with texture and consistency!  I finished mine on my gasser and they needed smoke.  some of the Juiciest, meatiest pork I have ever had. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Paul B. said:

baychilla said:

Do you finish them on the egg around 350 degrees?  Ever try smoking before putting them in the bath??

I agree with texture and consistency!  I finished mine on my gasser and they needed smoke.  some of the Juiciest, meatiest pork I have ever had. 

Yes around 350.   They only take about an hour to finish at that temp.   I have not tried to add smoke first, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike