Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini egg

Options
Is there any where I can look to see the recipes and cooks? My husband is about ready to chuck it. We use it for our RV.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hit the 'search' box top right .. it'll overwhelm you! In fact, I'm going there right now to refresh myself. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    What does he not like about it?   Taste of food?   Temp control issues?  

How long have you had the egg?  Is it your only egg?

What are you using for fuel?   (Brand and type of charcoal)

Give us a little background and we can go from there.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not recipes, just slideshows, but a LOT of slides!!

Go to YouTube, Leroy's Magic Mini Moments. Should be 7 of them.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=magic+mini+moments

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    Options
    The problem with that is it pulls up all big green egg entries 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    chill243 said:
    The problem with that is it pulls up all big green egg entries 
    Use the link above that @Carolina Q posted to YouTube.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    Options
    The problem is the temperature issue, he has a hard time stabilizing it. We put a 3 lb boneless turkey breast on at 325 and it never came up to temperature before both sides being burnt.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    chill243 said:
    The problem is the temperature issue, he has a hard time stabilizing it. We put a 3 lb boneless turkey breast on at 325 and it never came up to temperature before both sides being burnt.
    If both sides burnt, you had enough temperature. Adding a big, cold piece of meat to a small grill will trick the temp gauge. Fire is still hot. Just don't open the vents any more and let it do it's thing. 
    As with any grill, there are things to learn.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,897
    Options
    Could peruse the Cookbook link on the right side of the front page here.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Maybe a local TN egger could stop by and show you the ropes. Get the temp stable before putting your food on. Practice stability and vent control in the absence of protein, then add your food. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    chill243 said:
    Did the thermometer probe make contact with the breast? That would cause the temp to appear to be low even though it wasn't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    chill243 said:
    If both sides burnt, you had enough temperature. Adding a big, cold piece of meat to a small grill will trick the temp gauge. Fire is still hot. Just don't open the vents any more and let it do it's thing. 
    As with any grill, there are things to learn.
    This ^^^.   Get the mini stable for 30 mins or so the cook.  Keep in mind most proteins you put on the mini will block the heat from the thermo and give you false readings.

I think 3lbs of turkey breast is a bit big to cook direct on the mini. That would be an indirect cook for me but I would still flip every 15-20 or so because the meat is so close to the stone it is picking up heat from the stone and cooking from both sides.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    chill243 said:
    Did the thermometer probe make contact with the breast? That would cause the temp to appear to be low even though it wasn't.
    I fully agree, Michael! I bet that D**N spring clip on the inside is the problem! 

Dear OP's husband...you do not need that stupid clip! Gravity will keep your dome thermometer in place and allow you to easily pull it out before closing the dome to prevent impaling the large piece of meat.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    The mini will get hot very fast according the thermometer in the dome. After lifting the dome and placing a cool piece of meat on the grill; the temp will go down. The thing is that that coals are still very hot.  The meat will be seeing a higher temp than what the dome thermometer is registering.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @chill243 I saw cookingdude said you were in TN. Where are you located? I can show y’all some basics with it if y’all are down in the Middle TN area ever. 

Or or if you get froggy about selling it let me know. My mom is wanting a mini or a small for her back porch. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN