Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Bread Pudding recipe from Eggtoberfest

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Several folks asked me for the following recipe. I just sent it to Bill Wise so he could add it to the 2006 Eggtoberfest cookbook, but I also told folks I would post it here when I got back home.[p]The recipe is my clone of the bread pudding served at the Seelbach Hotel here in Louisville. It took us several tries to get it this close, but what we ended up with is a very easy recipe. Enjoy![p]BREAD PUDDING[p]4 cups raisin bread, cubed
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon[p]Place the cubed bread in an ungreased casserole dish. Mix all the other ingredients in another bowl and pour over the bread cubes. If any bread cubes remain dry, lightly stir the mixture in the casserole. Bake on the Egg using an indirect setup at 350 to 375 dome, for 35 to 45 minutes. Test for doneness with a metal knife inserted near the center. It should come out almost (but not quite) clean. Serve warm with the sauce.[p]BOURBON SAUCE[p]2 sticks butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar (sift if necessary)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 to 6 tbsp bourbon (see below)[p]Beat the butter at high speed with a mixer. (You could do this by hand, but it would be an awful lot of work.) Lower speed to medium and add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add the vanilla, then raise the speed back to high. Beat until the mixture is about the consistency of frosting. Lower the speed and very slowly add the bourbon. People who don't want a very pronounced bourbon taste should use only 2 tbsp of bourbon. Most folks seem to prefer about 4 tbsp, but we like the bourbon to really stand out, so we may add as much as 6 tbsp (as we did at the Fest.) Once the bourbon is incorporated, increase the speed back to high until the consistency is again much like frosting. Serve over warm bread pudding.

Comments

• GenesGrill
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    Mike....Bill and I really enjoyed your bread pudding at the fest! And also Dennis' chicken adobo! Thanks for the recipe....glad you made it back to Prospect KY OK.....Gene

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    I forgot to add that not all bourbons work the same when cooking. I use Jim Beam nearly all the time in recipes calling for bourbon or whiskey. The cheaper bourbons often lack that distinct bourbon taste. The more expensive bourbons just aren't worth the extra cost in my opinion -- at least not when cooking! Besides, a pricier bourbon or whiskey is generally smoother, which makes for good drinking but in cooking these bourbons don't seem to "announce" themselves as well.[p]But if all you have is some Maker's Mark or one of those Tennessee whiskeys, and you don't want to make an extra trip to the liquor store, then by all means use what you have. With these, though, I would start at 4 tbsp, and determine by your own taste whether you want to use more.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    GenesGrill,
    Just read your profile. Murphy NC. I went to Southwest Onslow High School down on the coast. Our football team routinely got beat by your boys in the playoffs/state championship when I was in school. They grow'm big in the mountains. SWO finally won the state title after I graduated with the assistance of a giant of a kid named Marcus Jones who went on to UNC and then to the Tampa Bay Bucs.