Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish game hens & Willie's sitters

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Though I've had my eggs for nearly a year now tonight is the first time I'll be trying cornish game hens. It will (obviously!) also be the first time I'm used my Willie's cornish sitters as well. Other than JJ's recipe called Parmesian Cornish Hen I find nothing else, nor do I recall any(?) past discussion of these birds. Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP,
    Yep, I have. In fact several times. And they are wonderful. I butterflied them though and grilled them direct heat.[p]Begin by marinating in a good quality "extro virgin" olive oil for 24 or better 36 hours before putting them on the grill. (you might want to try this next time - tonight is too late.)[p]But you could try the rub this time if you wish, since it goes on just before you grill. [p]
    2 tsp black pepper.
    1 tsp kosher salt or 1/2 regular salt.
    1 tsp fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dry.
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper.[p]Then prinkle about 4 Tbsp. of lemon juice all over the hens. [p]Let stand for about one hour before grilling.[p]Grill - direct heat, (325 - Dome) skin side DOWN for about 15 or 20 minutes or until skin is golden brown. Turn over for another 15 minutes or until hens are done - breast about 170+.[p]Garnish and serve.[p]Enjoy. These are wonderful.[p]Anthony[p][p][p][p]

• RRP
    Anthony Up North, Thanks for the recipe - I'll try it next time. Looks like I'll just use a beer butt approach this time with the Willies.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    RRP,[p]I'm not sure what temperature you can cook with the ceramic sitters, but I have done some game hens at 400º - 450º with some homemade metal sitters that were done in about 35 minutes. They were first brined in just a simple salt and water solution for about three hours, dried, oiled, and dusted with salt, pepper, and corriander. [p]BTW, is there a max temperature for those ceramic sitters or do you know? I have never used one.[p]Zip
  • RRP
    Zip, There is no warning and in fact the recipes in the instructions refer to grilling or cooking in the oven at 400°. They are glazed ceramic pieces themselves and seeing that you have beer etal inside them I how think that would help to disipate the heat. I've used the chicken siiters before with fine results, but this is the first time with these little mini ones.

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    RRP,
    Don't know about the ceramic sitter,but the following web site has about 60 game hen recipes: http://soar.berkeley.edu/recipes/meat/poultry/hens/ Hope this helps. Bob