Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another pizza stone bites the dust!

Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well there goes another Pampered Chef Pizza stone. Last night while cooking the first of 4 pies in the BGE one of my stones cracked into two pieces. Fortunately I had two stacked on one another and it was the bottom one that broke. The pizza got a little dark on the bottom but I was able to finish the night with both stones and cook another 3 pies. [p]This is the second time I have lost a Pampered Chef stone to the egg. It seems the P.C.stone can't handle the 500+ heat for any length of time. Has any one tried using unglazed saltillo tile as a stone? What about the plate setter, any problems with that cracking?[p]Thanks, Stuart

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Stuart,
    No problem with the plate setter or the BGE pizza stone.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Stuart, I echo what JJ said - I have no problem using the plate sitter and the BGE stone and in fact like it very much. From prior discussions I believe you won't find a lot of active posters anyway who use the plate sitter so don't be expecting too many of us to come forward in response.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Stuart,
    I too will echo what JJ said! I use both the plate sitter and the BGE pizza stone. Neither of which have given me any problems. I would suggest you go for the BGE stone at least. The pampered chef stone my wife uses in the oven is considerably thinner than the BGE stones. I'm glad she insisted I "get my own pizza stone" before venturing with pizza ala Egg.[p]Just my opinion though![p]Dr. Chicken

• Stuart,[p] Most stones I've seen in the stores around here caution against using them above 425F. As soon as my store-bought stone got a taste of the BGE's direct flame, it popped. After that, I bought the plate setter and was lucky enough to get it unbroken via UPS. The plate setter is wonderful. It can be flipped over to support another grid too, giving you a quick indirect cooking setup. No problem with it or the BGE pizza stone cracking. When I want a platform a bit bigger than the pizza stone, I use a kiln shelf I bought at a local ceramic supply store. It's octagonal and measure about 17" from corner to corner. Works great for big pizzas.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Stuart,[p]I too have exploded Pampered Chef stones and would never recommend them for the Egg as they were only intended for the average use in an oven. I do agree with JJ's post. The BGE stones and setter are as tough as the Egg itself.[p]If you want to use a clay (rather than ceramic) stone in your Egg, research the maximum temp the manufacturer of the stone recommends for its product use. Often this requires opening the box to read the details.[p]Spin

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Stuart,[p] The pampered chef stone is junk. I have a rectangular
    "pizza gourmet" stone that is about 3/4" thick. I use
    the plate setter with the rectangular stone on top of it
    followed by the BGE stone. I'm very happy with that setup.
    I believe that spin recomended adding additional stones
    for the sake of more ceramic mass. I agree. The 3 stones
    seems to make a big difference on the second and third
    pizzas (i.e the stones holding a high temperature better ).[p]Chuck

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    JJ, I agree, just cranked out another one last night on the tri-setter, a fabuluous pizza. finished it tonight! Even warmed up they are pretty tasty. This one filled the 13" sitter right at the edges.. My tri-setter is a limpy one with one leg missing. Just happens my small 3.5" x 7.5 x 1/2" bricks make a fine substitute leg. solid as a rock.
    Works great.
    C~W[p]