Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maiden voyage with a Smobot

Options
I bought a Smobot a couple months ago, and have got it all set up. I decided to use it on a prime brisket cook, weight after trim 14.75 lbs. Going to go 225F starting at 11:00pm this evening, to finish @ 5 pm + or  - 2 hours for a dinner party at 7:00pm.
Is there anything that I should be prepared for, regarding the Smobot?
Thank you in advance.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Be prepared for an awesome experience and a good nights sleep!!!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    kweitz said:
    Be prepared for an awesome experience and a good nights sleep!!!
    Will do, thanks for the reponse.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing the end product, have fun!
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    @YukonRon, I concur with @kweitz.  It's a really cool controller and I find it far less temperamental and finicky than my DigiQ.  No fan AND fan damper to deal with.  The Bot got it!  Good luck and enjoy.  Can't wait to hear how you like it.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Make sure you leave your bottom vent about halfway open.

One of the things the Smobot folks haven't gotten around to enabling yet are alarms. I've never used my Smobot for an overnight cook so it is not really a problem for me but if I were to do an overnight cook I would also run one of my other thermos that could send an alarm if the grate temp went way out of bounds.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    HeavyG said:

One of the things the Smobot folks haven't gotten around to enabling yet are alarms. I've never used my Smobot for an overnight cook so it is not really a problem for me but if I were to do an overnight cook I would also run one of my other thermos that could send an alarm if the grate temp went way out of bounds.
    This is what I do. Can't wait for the app and alarm that are supposedly coming, but if I'm going overnight with smobot I also run the maverick.
    Stillwater, MN
  • reinhart36
    Options

One tip for success it to make sure you don't have any big leaks in the lid seal, and also make sure the smobot damper is fastened all the way down flush against the cast iron cap.

The alarms have been developed, and we've been testing them the last few days.  A big firmware update release is right around the corner now.  I need to exercise the controller a little more to make sure I didn't break anything first..

• YukonRon
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing the end product, have fun!
    Very excited about trying this out. Prepping the XL now for the cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @YukonRon, I concur with @kweitz.  It's a really cool controller and I find it far less temperamental and finicky than my DigiQ.  No fan AND fan damper to deal with.  The Bot got it!  Good luck and enjoy.  Can't wait to hear how you like it.
    The guest list for tomorrow night includes a couple of local chefs, along with a real pretentious food critic, and her husband. They will let me know, and in a hurry, how well it turned out. Yea.
    I will pass along how it went.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Nothing like a new toy and a brisket cook to try it out with.  Definitely a banquet on the horizon.   Enjoy the ride and follow-on eats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    HeavyG said:

See below. The temperature is likely to be very cold, tonight so I will wake up a couple times just to check on the cook. When those alarms come through, that will be a game changer. Looking forward to it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    HeavyG said:

This is what I do. Can't wait for the app and alarm that are supposedly coming, but if I'm going overnight with smobot I also run the maverick.
    Thank you both for the heads up. I will monitor closely and hopefully we will get it done without a lot of problems.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

One tip for success it to make sure you don't have any big leaks in the lid seal, and also make sure the smobot damper is fastened all the way down flush against the cast iron cap.

The alarms have been developed, and we've been testing them the last few days.  A big firmware update release is right around the corner now.  I need to exercise the controller a little more to make sure I didn't break anything first..

I have made all the checks and adjustments, the XL is ready to roll. Looking forward to the upgrades, I am sure they will be stellar.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @YukonRon - tonight's temp will seem like a heat wave.  Low predicted at 35*F and headed upward on Saturday.  Dang near beach weather.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Nothing like a new toy and a brisket cook to try it out with.  Definitely a banquet on the horizon.   Enjoy the ride and follow-on eats.  
    Will do. Throwing in some cheese grits, marinated asparagus and a big pile of Bleu Cheese Coleslaw  (Makes great wraps with the left-over brisket)
    We will see how this turns out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - tonight's temp will seem like a heat wave.  Low predicted at 35*F and headed upward on Saturday.  Dang near beach weather.  =)
    I got my speedos  on with my Hawaiian shirt, prepared for the heat wave....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Aahhhhh, you went and got you one of those new fangled gadgets I see.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Aahhhhh, you went and got you one of those new fangled gadgets I see.
    I bought this Smobot last year. I put it up in my office, and forgot about it.
    I was going through some work stuff I was getting ready to pitch, and found the box it was shipped in, opned the box, and there it was.
    It has been a breeze to set up, and trust me when I tell you this, if I can do it, anyone can do it. 
    I got stuck a couple times, but it was so simple If I knew what I was doing, I had this done in 5-10 minutes, tops. As it were, it took me about 20? minutes to do.
    I am kind of excited to try this bad boy out.
    I am using the last of your gourmet oak lump you gave me, and the cow dust I got from. Michael. @DoubleEgger has got me turned on to Cow Dust for a rub. All  have left to do is lite up the XL, make up some cheat sauce, and put her on.
    We will see how it turns out tomorrow night.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    @YukonRon - I think you will really like the smobot.  I know I like mine a lot (and my wife really likes it - I'm much more apt to run errands on the weekends when I don't feel the need to babysit a cook)

@reinhart36 - I'm really looking forward to the firmware update!!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    There is some irony in an insomniac buying a controller. Hope you are getting some more sleep these days Ron. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    The guest list for tomorrow night includes a couple of local chefs, along with a real pretentious food critic, and her husband. 

Interesting friends you have Ron.  You have some brass ones, just to be open to cook for them for sure.  My friends are impressed by the use of breakable plates.  All the best with the cook and party.

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @YukonRon - I think you will really like the smobot.  I know I like mine a lot (and my wife really likes it - I'm much more apt to run errands on the weekends when I don't feel the need to babysit a cook)

@reinhart36 - I'm really looking forward to the firmware update!!! 
    That is exactly why I bought this, to be able to monitor it anywhere, while doing whatever.
    I really like the idea. Once the upgrades come it will be hard to beat.
    Thanks for your input.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    There is some irony in an insomniac buying a controller. Hope you are getting some more sleep these days Ron. 
    @DoubleEgger
    My Beautiful Wife commends your observational skills. I gotta know what is going on all the time. That's why I bought the ring system for my home, I can be anywhere and talk to whoever is at my door and see them on camera.
    She is still laughing, she thinks you are tying it together rather well.
    I am on sleep meds now, getting 3.5 hour per night. Thank you for asking.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @DoubleEgger
    My Beautiful Wife commends your observational skills. I gotta know what is going on all the time. That's why I bought the ring system for my home, I can be anywhere and talk to whoever is at my door and see them on camera.
    Give your Bride my best regards. We’ll see you guys soon. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @YukonRon going with the standard beef broth / garlic juice / onion juice injection?

I remember your epic story from your brisket cook during a storm (that turned out to be your best ever I recall).  Awesome story - keep us posted on this one.

What did you end up doing for the rub?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    Options
    blasting said:
    YukonRon said:
    The guest list for tomorrow night includes a couple of local chefs, along with a real pretentious food critic, and her husband. 

Interesting friends you have Ron.  You have some brass ones, just to be open to cook for them for sure.  My friends are impressed by the use of breakable plates.  All the best with the cook and party.

My Beautiful Wife has great friends, and she really took a step down when she married me. These folks are amongst some of the most cool I have ever known in my life, aside of course to my brothers and sisters in this forum. It should be fun, and I had to laugh on the descriptive of your friends. I get it.
    Thanks for checking in.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @DoubleEgger
    Give your Bride my best regards. We’ll see you guys soon. Willdo, and as always looking forward my friend.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @YukonRon going with the standard beef broth / garlic juice / onion juice injection?

I remember your epic story from your brisket cook during a storm (that turned out to be your best ever I recall).  Awesome story - keep us posted on this one.

What did you end up doing for the rub?
    @GoooDawgs
    Yeah that is my cheating sauce.....
    I got this rub from @DoubleEgger called Cow Dust, it has coffee, salt, black pepper,garlic powder, dry mustard, paprika, Ancho chili pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, sugar, a ittle  bit of smoked paprika and other stuff I added. It has a bit of spice, a bit savory, and a touch of sweet. I used a little bit of evoo to rub down the brisket, and a bit of mustard in the hard to reach places, then a massive amount of cow dust as rubbed on top of that. I have let it sit since about 11:00 am, so it will have about 12 hours in. I have injected the brisket with about 2 to 3 ounces of the juice already, @ 9:00 pm, and have wrapped the thin edge of the flat heavily in foil. 
    Thank you for looking.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Git on it, boy!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Git on it, boy!
    The inside might suck, but the crust will be pretty good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky