Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your method for tender chicken breasts?

2beast
2beast Posts: 50
Looking for better consistency in chicken breasts.
They can go from amazing to bland and tough.

Thanks

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Do you have an instant read thermometer? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    What temp are you cooking to?  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Cook the lowest temp you are comfortable eating (165 according to the govt) or cook BS thighs instead. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Marinate in Italian dressing,Grill direct, pull at 152.  Rest for a few minutes.  Booya

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2018
    No real method. Season as desired, put 'em on the heat (egg, stovetop, weber, whatever) and take 'em off when done. Use a Thermapen.

EDIT... Oh and I usually flip multiple times.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387

How are you currently doing them? I do them several ways and they always turn out good.

usually around 325 or lower.

Raised Direct, or I use the PS and do them indirect. not sure why or when I chose either or, I just do. I guess it depends if I feel like having a bit of char on them or not.

not really much help I guess, but still curious on your method. I had a friend from work the other day tell me that they just cant cook a chicken breast with out it coming out dry and chewy... sounded odd to me. We do cook a lot of chicken though.

Thermapen is a must...  :)

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • For me, the biggest factor in tenderness of chicken breasts appears to be the supplier from whom I am purchasing. For this reason, I buy chicken breasts almost exclusively from Costco. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Pound them to 1/2”or so, season as you wish and cook hot n fast around 425 raised direct.  Pull around 150-152°.  This give me the texture I like in chicken.  I think cooking hot n fast also helps retain moisture.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Usually pull around 155.

I'm thinking my old thermometer may be going bad.
    I have been getting somewhat erratic readings,  often blaming it on various densities of the meat.

I changed the battery and still the same results.

Looks like it is time for a new thermometer.........
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Seriously, Sous Vide. You are missing out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    YukonRon said:
    I am interested. As a new Anova owner myself, everything I have read is negative with regard to chicken. What are they doing wrong? Maybe better to ask, what is your process?
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    YukonRon said:
    I have a Sous Vide setup, and it will without a doubt, produce tender chicken.
    What I haven't been able to achieve is flavor. A quick sear at the end doesn't produce the flavor that more traditional cooking methods produce for me.

@YukonRon have you found the flavor to equal traditional methods?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    YukonRon said:
    I am interested. As a new Anova owner myself, everything I have read is negative with regard to chicken. What are they doing wrong? Maybe better to ask, what is your process?
    I’ve had some luck marinating the chicken first then doing SV at 160 for about and hour quick pan sear it’s tender and tasty
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    Hans61 said:
    YukonRon said:
    I’ve had some luck marinating the chicken first then doing SV at 160 for about and hour quick pan sear it’s tender and tasty
    Thanks @Hans61. I’ll give it a whirl. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    GregW said:bi
    YukonRon said:
    I have a Sous Vide setup, and it will without a doubt, produce tender chicken.
    What I haven't been able to achieve is flavor. A quick sear at the end doesn't produce the flavor that more traditional cooking methods produce for me.

@YukonRon have you found the flavor to equal traditional methods?
    I season it in the bag, and again when I sear.
    It works very well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited January 2018
    Pound them to 1/2”or so, season as you wish and cook hot n fast around 425 raised direct.  Pull around 150-152°.  This give me the texture I like in chicken.  I think cooking hot n fast also helps retain moisture.  
    Pounding them is the key for me . I couldn’t agree more.
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    While you have already gotten sage advice there is one other method I used to use with frozen breasts sold at SAMS and that was to JACCARD them. Now that I buy the individually frozen breasts from COSTCO I no longer find that necessary. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I only cook the breasts with rib meat.  Pull off skin, wash up, pat dry, then rub with olive oil and Yardbird.  Cook direct at 325 until it probes 165, and they are ready to serve!  Super moist and juicy!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    @pgprescott when I did it 160 for an hour it would cut kinda like pulled chicken 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    SV 145 degrees for 2 hours is super ood. Did this last night, seasoned in bag then seared quickly. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Marinate in buttermilk, mayonnaise, or pickle juice...

All three flavor profiles have a different direction you can go down, I.E. fried, baked, or grilled..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    I can't emphasize enough what a few others have said about quality of the chicken, but to summarize a few posts above:

1)  I have had chicken breasts from the same bag of frozen chicken breast come out great but the one cooked next to it has more of a rubbery texture.  Try to be picky and find a good source.  Chicken is cheap, pay a little more per lbs if you need to.   Its not like a Ribeye where you can pay a range of $5-$20/lbs.  A $1/lbs extra can get you much better chicken.  

2) These days most whole chickens or BS breasts are huge.  Spatchock a whole bird or pound the BS breasts flatter so they cook better and more even.  I would say 1/2" to 3/4" max would by limit on thickness for BS breasts. 

3) Cook to temp and cook it to the lowest temperature you are comfortable to safely eat either SV, direct, or indirect.  All methods can produce good chicken.

4) Unless you are on a diet, go with boneless, skinless thighs.  They cost about the same and are MUCH better.  More forgiving and much juicier.  Other than not wanting to eat meat off a bone or health reasons, I am not sure why people pick BS breasts.   

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I always cook them indirect at 300 and if using bone  in breasts I brine for about 2 hrs.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • kl8ton
    @DialSquare
    why disagree with my question?  Scrolling error on your mobile device?
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton said:
    @DialSquare
    why disagree with my question?  Scrolling error on your mobile device?
    Hi kl8ton, my apologies, I must have clicked it when scrolling by. My bad, friend! In fact, I agree with your question, using an instant read thermo is the best way to ensure good results on chicken. My thermapen is my best accessory! 
    Cheers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i have the best luck with bone in full breast cooked like a spatchcocked bird. cut in half for serving after the cook.  it runs with juice, i cant get this with the standard cut grocery store half breast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    when at the store, look on the label that says.....injected with some percentage of a salt type solution, usually 8% - 12% for chicken.  this will give you a juicer product. 

Also, when grilling you may need to separate the thick end from the thin end at some point during the cook, so not to overcook the thin end. When I cut them I usually stand the pieces on end to help get the middle some heat. 

thanks for posting, reminded me to do some with AL white sauce.......good stuff.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.