Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Freakin Rib

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy!
Cooked my first standing rib roast tonight. It was about 3.5 pounds, 2 bones. I looked back over all the posts, and one thing stood out. Nobody cooks these guys the same!! So I rubbed it with Elder's salt/pepper/thyme rub, and cooked it at 400, in a v-rack/drip pan over a pizza stone. My Mom wanted to use the drippings.[p]2 hours later Miss Polder was squelching 140, and I took the beauty off, and wrapped it in a foil tent. 15 minutes later we were carving in a pool of au jus.[p]No drippings in the drip pan. It seems as if all the juice was sealed inside!! Amazing. No question the best prime rib I have eaten. Working your way through a slice, every bite has a different character. Some better than others, but all superb. The kids were picking the last little pieces off the plate, wiping them in juice, and eating. It was a joyous occasion for all.[p]Happy Weekend.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Nature Boy,
    I agree, NB. If they weren't so dang expensive, I'd be eating Prime Rib every weekend! Ahhh...but pulled pork is soooo good! And CHEAP, too!!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    bdavidson, I love prime rib..but tonight I had a tri tip that would run a tight race with the Prime. A post later.
    C~W

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    I, too, gave in to peer pressure. Bought a 6 pound one and realized I couldn't possibly consume all that, so cut it in half. Cooked faster than I thought. Less than 2 hours was hitting 140. Did the v-rack also (out of necessity...it kept falling over otherwise!). My guest, a major prime rib fan, said it was one of the best ever. And it was sooooo easy. I'm feeling so smug!
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,
    Did you find 140 to be more rare in the prime rib than in a steak? It seemed to me that way - like you said - loads of jucies when you slice it. I like a small pink center - I might go to 150 next time. Real tender cut of meat. [p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MollyShark, Way to go girl..and I like your name :-) I understand the smug feeling..heeeee. The egg really takes a big part of the success story. The rack does work nicely for the smaller Prime roasts. IF you do a large one, do em rib side to the fire, no drip pan, right on the grill. You can raise the grill a bit higher if you want to avoid the charring of the bone. The bone is unedible anyway, but I like that meat around the bone. Best part IMHO. Nearly anyway..heeee. Keep the bone side down thruout the cook till the interior is at your preferred doneness. Good Job MollyS...
    C~W[p]