Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB /Brisket question

Options
Just got a KAB for Christmas and I am using it for the first time on a low n slow. I filled the LBGE to the top of the fire ring/ bottom of placesetter to make sure I didnt run out of fuel overnite . I cant seem to get the grate temp under 300. Did I put too much charcoal in ?
Grand Rapids , Mi
LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nope. Make sure your grate thermo is over your platesetter and not exposed directly to the lump. You can run at anybtemp no matter how much lump is in there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
    Sounds good. Thank you
    Grand Rapids , Mi
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    As above, it's all about air-flow into and out of the BGE.  Doesn't matter any internal gear, just manage the air and you are there.  The KAB may alter the flow characteristics, but just adjust the vents to address.  Since you have been down this road prior to the KAB you likely know how things go.
    You may have initially created too large a fire as once the BGE gets heated up it takes a long time to get it to cool down to your desired temp and by then you may have starved the fire and then you are into the "my fire went out now what?" scenario.  Just be mindful of that.
    Above all, enjoy the brisket cook and follow-on eats.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    As said above the amount of lump doesn’t have anything to do with size of fire.  I’m guessing that the increased air flow with the KAB(although I don’t have one) has got you offbeat with the vent settings you are used to.  Close the bottom vent a touch and wait for it to settle in.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • kingsmoke
    Options
    Thx for the advice. Still getting use to KAB. A little learning curve with adjusting vents (a bit different than stock set up ). BGE finally stabilize around 250 and stayed there all night. Pulled brisket off after 11 hours with internal temp of 201.  FTC for an hour or two.   
    Grand Rapids , Mi
  • kingsmoke
    Options
    Not sure why it took me so long to attempt a brisket. Did a lot if reading previous posts for words of wisdom tho. Very happy with the results for the first one.
    Grand Rapids , Mi
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have been egging for a long time and have learned over the years that if my temp is a little high or low it's for me no big deal, the result is usually if higher temp the food cooks faster if low takes longer. So if I'm looking for 250 and the egg settles in at 300 I don't care, if looking for 400 and settles at 350 no problem. I'm talking about swings of 50 to 75 degrees, I also no longer do low and slow cooks as turbo works great for me.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Nice cook.  Good looking brisket.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @kingsmoke- way to bring it home.  Great looking bark as well.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    +1 like @lousubcap said for low and slow, start the fire in one corner of the lump and don’t let the fire get too big before setting the vents. I go for about baseball size or so then set the vents. Easier to raise the temp than lower it. Looks like it worked out well for you! Good job!
    LBGE
    AL
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Nice work, just wish I could taste it.  My heatup characteristics with the KAB didn't change at all.  What did change is the time from light-cook.  I find that the KAB consistently increases the airflow within the chamber, resulting in faster time to cook.  My startups had become an issue for no apparent reason.  I think the culprit was the smaller chunks of lump contained in the bags has no doubt increased ten-fold and they were plugging up the air holes in the fire box.  The KAB sits slightly away from the fire box and ultimately prevents the smaller pieces of lump from plugging the fire box holes.  I'm dumber than a lizard on an exhaust pipe, but those are my thoughts at the moment.  Good luck!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.