Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite way to cook a whole turkey?

Options
Fellas,
I’ve got a 14 lb turkey brining that I want to make for dinner tonight. What is your favorite way to cook a turkey on the egg?
Lewiston, MN  LBGE

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Given your time-frame, grab the hatchet and spatchcock it.  Then run raised direct for around 100+/- minutes at 350-375 *F.  Legs to the back and have at it when finished.  
    Here's a link to the spatch chix process/recipe-just scale it up for turkey (the hatchet for the larger rib bones):
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm  FWIW-
    Edit: go with the temperature for the finish-line.  160*F or so in the breast;  180+*F in the legs.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Paul B.
    Paul B. Posts: 57
    Options
    Hope you got it done.  Turkey is the bomb on the egg.
  • Shurdaddy
    Options
    Busted a scissors trying to spatch the beast. I decided to go indirect at 325-350. Breasts hit 165 around 3 hours into the cook. I could not be happier with the results!

Lewiston, MN  LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Great outcome.
    Never doubt the hatchet with spatching a turkey.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Spatchcock all the way for us.
    Stillwater, MN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Looks great!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Options
    Beer can turkey turns out great.
    I have never tried to spatchcock one.........yet :|
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never spatch'd a turkey, but I use a good serrated knife to do chickens. Might be worth trying on a turkey. Haven't tried a hatchet either.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I prefer MadMax because you can make gravy, but spatching is hard to not appreciate!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95