Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to bugger up a SMOBOT - I'm an idiot!!

Have any of y'all done something this stupid with your BGE??!

Last week, I accidentally closed part of the SMOBOT cable in the egg on shutdown after a cook.  This is the cable that runs from the damper on top to the control unit.  I didn't discover till the next day, but there was enough residual heat to cause this -

Obviously this cable isn't designed for high heat.  Fortunatly, I only had to sacrifice about six inches when cutting out the bad part and splicing it back together.

FYI - there are two insulated and one non-insulated wires inside the outer case.  All three are needed (sometimes uninsulated wires are to provide strength only).

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Over on another forum a few months ago a fellow Smobot user modded his servo cable so that he had just a six inch or so length of cable coming out of the servo that terminated with a plug. Then he just used a separate connecting cable to plug the servo to the control unit.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    If that is the dumbist thing you have done with your egg, you sir are brilliant compared to me. 

Hell, at this point I am surprised I am smart enough to even know that.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    HeavyG said:
    Over on another forum a few months ago a fellow Smobot user modded his servo cable so that he had just a six inch or so length of cable coming out of the servo that terminated with a plug. Then he just used a separate connecting cable to plug the servo to the control unit.

That is a pretty smart mod - it could have thwarted my issue.
    Memphis, TN 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I ran mine over with my truck. Did I win? :s

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Probes, probes. How many of those have I scorched, pinched, kinked or otherwise destroyed? I shudder to think....
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    WeberWho said:

If you can really call that winning.... Ouch. Did the air turn blue?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    kaybee said:
    WeberWho said:
    If you can really call that winning.... Ouch. Did the air turn blue?
    @kaybee I rolled the egg behind my truck and left it there with intentions of moving it later that evening. That never happened. The next morning I grab a Coke from the beer fridge in front of the garage. A path I don't usually take to get into my truck. I never walked towards the rear end of my truck to notice the egg. The next thing I hear is a crashing sound. I thought maybe a hanger snapped and my exhaust dropped from under my truck. I jump out of my truck and don't notice anything. I start to walk towards the back of the truck and that's when I see the egg in a million pieces. I was more confused than anything. I wasn't expecting to see my egg. I don't think I swore. I just remember quickly picking it up as I was already a few minutes behind for work. So I didn't really have time to think. If anything was fortunate about that situation it was that it was my used $200 large egg. Not my other large with warranty. The air would have been real blue if it were that one! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mEGG_My_Day
    WeberWho said:

That's a painful way to win ... but you are the winner for sure!
    Memphis, TN 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    WeberWho said:

Hmmmmm.  I would love to give you the win, but honestly tying your dog to the egg might edge you out.

Then there is @Little Steven who burned his house down with the egg.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Paul B.
    Paul B. Posts: 57
    Gotta have a sense of humor about that!  I
    Although I am sure it was bummer.  Chalk that up to you will never do that again :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Then there is @Little Steven who burned his house down with the egg.
    Actually, his house fire was caused by a gasser, not an egg.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mEGG_My_Day glad you were able to fix it!  If it ever stops working, reach out and we'll help you get the servo replaced!
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day glad you were able to fix it!  If it ever stops working, reach out and we'll help you get the servo replaced!
    @piperpilot - thanks a million.  Eric has also reached out.  Your customer service is above outstanding.

I have it well repaired for now, albeit a bit over engineered (my cord looks like a snake that just ate a mouse)

Thanks again.
    Memphis, TN