Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meater Block

Just a warning to everyone. I backed the Meater Block in 2015 on Kickstarter. A novel and innovative product in which they promised delivery in Jan 2016. It is a completely wireless thermometer probe that will measure ambient temp as well as food temp. (sounds perfect for what we do..) Here we are 2 years later and no product. Advise anyone considering an "early order" to hold off, I'm worried they are going bankrupt or have legal challenges.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• I recently ordered a block, but as you I ordered on Indegogo some time ago for a single unit without block and have since received it ... it’s actually a fantastic little device. I do know that the block had some challenges as it’s being used as a “router” so to speak for MEATER WI-FI. Give it a chance, I use mine on the rotisserie and it’s a God send in that regard, recently made a ribeye roast on it perfectly cooked to temp. 
  • They are shipping the singles (albeit a year+ late) to good reviews but those who ordered the blocks are screwed. Meathead posted a pretty scathing review of the company on amazing ribs. Shame as I would buy the block today. Would be perfect for my KBQ (which is where I do all my low and slow anyway).

I think I saw that if you bought the block, you cannot cancel and get the single which is available today. This is bush-league business practice. The people who ponied up the most for the best and most expensive package are getting screwed. They raised over $4,000,000 (like 40X what they hoped) on kickstarter and still can't deliver. Not a good sign.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    I wanted the single unit to use on the BGEtisserie, didn't feel the need for the block. I've been very pleased with it, despite the long delay in receiving it.

I agree that the way they have treated block orderers has been awful. I'd be very angry if it were me.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I’m one of the saps who ordered the meater block while SOWI (Shopping Online While Intoxicated). 

Their cutesy-pie (non)updates only fuel the rage I feel for them.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    That sucks big time. I would venture to say that’s repeated many times over a year.
  • I also backed a block on Kickstarter - I hate these guys so much. 

You can parse back through early updates where they stated expected delivery dates that they knew (or should have known) were impossible to meet.

Just as an example: In mid June 2016 they were still claiming shipping of the Meaters at end of July 2016...and then in their next update they said they hadn't even started FCC testing. If that's the case, then there's no way they could have hit the July deadline.

Complete lack of respect and transparency for their backers, and we haven't received an update since October. From the bottom of my heart, I say f**k these guys with a bag of d***s.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Two_Down said:
    I also backed a block on Kickstarter - I hate these guys so much. 

You can parse back through early updates where they stated expected delivery dates that they knew (or should have known) were impossible to meet.

Just as an example: In mid June 2016 they were still claiming shipping of the Meaters at end of July 2016...and then in their next update they said they hadn't even started FCC testing. If that's the case, then there's no way they could have hit the July deadline.

Complete lack of respect and transparency for their backers, and we haven't received an update since October. From the bottom of my heart, I say f**k these guys with a bag of d***s.
    The whole bag?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    I guess I'm lucky then?  While I'd like the block (and would buy a block on its own to add to my solitary meater or buy a block with X probes - I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to buy 4 probes to get it).  In my brief use I've found the ambient sucks donkey balls at/around room temps.  The probe part seems bang on and the ambient works in the pit - but to me its a o.O to go from doesn't work @ room temp to works @ pit temp.

Also getting tech support from "Customer Happiness Ninja"... really?  At least they could've use Kunoichi.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    I wonder if there's a "How Not To Do It" contest between the PR departments of Meater and United Airlines?
     :o 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.