Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do you get your spices?

I am looking for a new spice dealer.  I had pretty good one but I quit using them after the owner went off the deep end when Trump was elected. I suspect he lost a fair amount of business. Anyway, my supply slowly  dwindled down to the point of using the grocery store only which works , but is not the same.   Thanks I’m advance. 
Upstate SC
Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2018
    Not your go to you find on here.....and not the cheapest....but check these folks out. I love their quality.... and you can purchase in small quantities.  https://www.spiceandtea.com/

This page gets you to their blends and rubs. The butchers rub and the espresso steak are two of my favorites. 
    https://www.spiceandtea.com/shop/seasonings-blends-rubs/meat-rubs.html 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Penzey’s is great!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    I go with Colonel De (link). Lucky for me, he has a shop at Findlay Market, 10 mins from the house, but I have been known to order online anyway, when I have a big order (and I'm lazy).  B)
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    I use SFherb.com  Quality is good and prices are REALLY low.  Shipping is not comped however.  Since I supply spice blends to friends and family, buying in quantity is a major money saver.  I place a roughly $100 order every 2 years and keep all the spices vac-sealed in the freezer until ready to use.

Minimum shipping via UPS is about $16, if I recall.  I start a cart and just keep adding until the shipping cost goes up and quit there.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I order from the original Penzey family spice company........before Bill went out on his own trying to put his family out of business.

https://www.thespicehouse.com
  • I order from the original Penzey family spice company........before Bill went out on his own trying to put his family out of business.

If he’s legit trying to put his family out of business, his booming sales sure are working against him... 
  • stlcharcoal
    I order from the original Penzey family spice company........before Bill went out on his own trying to put his family out of business.

If he’s legit trying to put his family out of business, his booming sales sure are working against him... 
    You're reading it wrong.

The Spice House is/was his parents' company in Chicago.  He started his own company years ago to compete with them.  His sister Patty and her husband run The Spice House now.
  • I order from the original Penzey family spice company........before Bill went out on his own trying to put his family out of business.

You're reading it wrong.

The Spice House is/was his parents' company in Chicago.  He started his own company years ago to compete with them.  His sister Patty and her husband run The Spice House now.
    Indeed.  I do think that, generally speaking, folks whose business is to sell things to the public should probably shy away from commenting on politics.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I've been very pleased with spices I've ordered (through Amazon) from Hoosier Hill Farm
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited January 2018

You're reading it wrong.

Indeed.  I do think that, generally speaking, folks whose business is to sell things to the public should probably shy away from commenting on politics.
    Yes, he is the one I ordered from for years. I was aware of his political views but I didn’t hold it against him , or anyone for that matter.  When Trump was elected he went on a rampage and basically called anyone who voted for Trump a woman hating racist, among other things. I don’t patronize anyone who brings out that kind of venom. So I enjoyed what I had left and now I’m grocery shopping for spices ( for a while now). Appreciate your response. 
    Upstate SC
  • etherdome
    edited January 2018
    Thanks everyone for your referrals. Can’t wait to get some real spices around again!
    Upstate SC
  • Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Was in the same predicament and switched to the spicehouse and have been very happy with them. They welcome everyone and at the time of the election result was offering discounts with the coupon code 'nopolitics'.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I get mine from the local 7-11....
    https://youtu.be/aHmfpNPwRG0

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• etherdome
    Lvnthedrm said:
    Was in the same predicament and switched to the spicehouse and have been very happy with them. They welcome everyone and at the time of the election result was offering discounts with the coupon code 'nopolitics'.

Thanks. That’s awesome to know. Just knowing they are family competition for that nutjob makes me want to try them. 
    Upstate SC
  • etherdome
    bucky925 said:
    I get mine from the local 7-11....
    https://youtu.be/aHmfpNPwRG0

Lol. Not that kind of spice. Awesome
    video. 
    Upstate SC
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Second what Robin said. The spice and tea stuff is awesome. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stlcharcoal
    etherdome said:

Yes, he is the one I ordered from for years. I was aware of his political views but I didn’t hold it against him , or anyone for that matter.  When Trump was elected he went on a rampage and basically called anyone who voted for Trump a woman hating racist, among other things. I don’t patronize anyone who brings out that kind of venom. 
    Did you follow his suggestion in that email and make a sizable donation to the ACLU, then leave the receipt out on the serving table at Thanksgiving so your family could see it??  I didn't either.  I did take his suggestion to unsubscribe from his [hate-filled] emails if I didn't like politics with my spices.  Amazingly enough I still got one more email from him a week later with him bragging how many Facebook likes he got and how they [allegedly] gained followers on the mailing list.  Whatever--I have plenty of FB and IG followers too.  Unless those folks spend money, they're just fans, not customers. 

I disagree.  Doesn't matter what position you hold.....you should be able to speak your mind (tactfully) and not have it blowback on your job or business.  It's a different story when you're out representing your company, and saying your company is taking a stance on certain issue, candidate, whatever--especially if it's publicly held company.  Unless it's a company/sales related issue (i.e. gun company supporting a pro-gun legislation or pro-gun candidate), then you should probably keep your mouth shut.

At the same time, all these online petitions and boycotts are really getting annoying.  First off, this is the laziest form of "protesting" ever invented.  Clicking a "like" button or joining a boycott when you weren't a customer in the first place, is NOT the same as holding up a sign board chanting.  But to go after businesses where everyday people work, just because their owner is a certain religion, political party, etc, is really counter-productive to NOT being a hater.  That goes the other way too.....

Bill Jr. (and other companies where major stakeholders have lashed out at their base) really put their front line employees in harms way.  Sure he may be able to take the financial hit if the plan backfires, but what about the stores that close or the employees that lose profit sharing / commissions.  Their store in the wealthy part of STL was a ghost town after his tirade was on TV and radio news stations (70%+ of that area voted Trump.)  I don't see many Penzey stores in the hood--they're usually in affluent areas.  Do the math for how many new customers (not fans) you have to gain in order to replace wealthy Republicans.  And in a privately held company you can lie all you want about your "booming" profits to save face if you need to.......but time will tell.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Penzey’s is great!
    I have a local Penzeys as well, but I buy most from the Spice House:
    https://www.thespicehouse.com/

They are in Chicago, but do great online as well
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • etherdome
    @stlcharcoal, yes I unsubscribed and and also received that 2nd email from him. That was the nail in the coffin for me.  What a tool.  I couldn't agree any more with what you said.

Have you tried any of the spicehouse BBQ rubs?
    Upstate SC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Am I the only one that gets more rubs gifted than I can possibly use such that I almost never by my own spices?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• stlcharcoal
    etherdome said:
    @stlcharcoal, yes I unsubscribed and and also received that 2nd email from him. That was the nail in the coffin for me.  What a tool.  I couldn't agree any more with what you said.

Have you tried any of the spicehouse BBQ rubs?
    No, but I use their spices to make my own.  I bought a few of their Asian blends though.  There was a Caribbean one we got too.....calypso or something like that. Really good.
  • 20stone said:
    Penzey’s is great!
    I have a local Penzeys as well, but I buy most from the Spice House:
    https://www.thespicehouse.com/

They are in Chicago, but do great online as well
    That was a joke based on the opening post.  I’ve actually had a hard time finding certain things at Penzey’s online store.  
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Got some really good smoked peppercorns and a few other spices from Sullivan Street Tea and Spice in Greenwich Village (Sullivan Street), NYC. 
    We have an Amish market close by that is open only Thurs-Sat (limited hours) where we get the bulk of our spices. Good prices, Fresh product.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    I have a Penzey's in town.  The folks who work there are super nice.  I stop in about once a week to grab whatever free thing they are giving away.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Penzey's has great stuff. My DIL loves their stuff and has gifted us some amazing vanilla bean paste that we really love. A bit more pricey that other places, but good quality. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466

You're reading it wrong.

Interesting!  You learn something every day.
    I've been very happy with Penzey's spices.  Not so much their blends, although I have a few favorites.

Will check out the Spice House as well. 
    LBGE/Maryland