Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble lowering the temperature

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello! I am new to grilling and I just got a BGE. I am trying to do a brisket, the problem is I need to get the temp down to 250, and I am having some severe difficulty with that. Can anyone tell me a good way to get the temperature down to 250? It seems to just stop around 500 when I leave a crack open in the top and bottom vents.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Jon-Robert,[p] It is easier to stop it while it's going up then it is to cool it off. If I assume you have a Large BGE the folks here say the bottom vent on the large should be about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch open and the daisy wheel darn near closed.[p]I have an XL and my opening dimensions are slightly higher
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Jon-Robert,[p]Check and make sure your gasket is sealing as well, and make sure your thermometer is calibrated.[p]TRex
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Jon-Robert, as TRex said, calibrate your thermometer (in boiling water, 212* depending on you altitude). Next time slowly cruise into your desired temperature, don't go nuclear and try to cool it down. Unlike a metal smoker, once the ceramic heats up it can take a couple of hours to get it down below 300*, or at least that is my experience. As for this time, stick the brisket back in the fridge and throw on a couple of steaks. You're going to love whatever you cook on it.[p]As for the brisket, you need to become familiar with The Naked Whiz[p]TNW.gif[p]His sight has most everything you need to know about ceramic cooking. Check out his tips for building a fire for a low and slow cook (linked below). Also see his Brisket Hints and Tips
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/brisket.htm[p]Welcome and good luck!

[ul][li]How Should I Build A Fire For A Low And Slow Cook[/ul]
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Jon-Robert,steart closing down the vents at 225, and set both vents to 1/8"

• Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    Jon-Robert,
    I have found that once the BGE gets hot it is hard to cool down, but you can try a couple of tricks. If you add new cold lump to the fire it can knock down the temp, the more you add the more the temp lowers to a point. If the fire is really hot you can spriz with water to kill the hot spots. The other idea is to leave the top open and close the bottom vent all the way; this seems to let the heat out of the top and yet doesn't totally kill the fire. It may take all three to reduce your temp. Removing the meat for a while may be best if your still at 500. Good luck, Kent

• 1. Don't let your Egg get that hot. It is much easier to regulate the temp on the climb than to cool that much ceramic. Unless, of course, it is winter, snowing, and windy.[p]2. Don't be afraid to close your dampers down. For a low-n-slow on mine, I generally have the lower damper open only about as wide as the diameter of a sewing needle, and the top daisy holes open to about 1/3 to 1/2 holes.[p]Good luck,
    Mike