Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ironwood Smoking

Options
Anyone use this wood? Also known as Eastern Hophornbeam (Ostrya Virginians).

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum.  I have never heard of anything you just posted.  Just thought I would say hi.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never heard of smoking with hornbeam. It's an extremely dense, heavy hardwood so I doubt it would be suitable.

I have a small piece of it in my shop. Was going to use it for the sole of my Krenov style plane. But I've had it for years and still haven't started the project.

But, hello and welcome!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As above, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    I have never heard of that species, but you can give it a go-worst you can do is ruin a hunk of protein.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hmm, sounds like it might work after all...

http://www.eattheweeds.com/carpinus-caroliniana-musclewood-2/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut