Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Making N/Y Resolution Doable

I forgot just how good whole chicken comes off the egg. We’ve been eating pretty healthy, and the flavor and juiciness of this bird makes it easy to stick to.  

Deboned the breast, left the legs and wings in, raised direct skin down on the AR @375ish, pulled @155F in the breast, and let it rest tented with foil.  

Home run for sure.

Comments

• Never seen a bird cooked like that. Looks great!
    Snellville, GA

Thanks much @Eggdicted_Dawgfan !

I use to spatchcock them but I’ve found some issues that I wanted to avoid.

I do it this way to make it easier, in my opinion, to get all of the breast and tender meat without having to pick the carcass clean.  Not only do I season under the skin, but I have all of the extra surface and tenders that I can season too for more flavor. Plus it becomes uniform in thickness to help cook evenly. It only takes a minute to do just about the same as clipping the spine out, so why not, right?
  • Great cook. I learn something new here. Thanks for sharing. 
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    That looks awesome.  I love chicken on the egg!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • That sounds like very good logic to me. Definitely going to try this with the next bird. Unfortunately my knife skills lack significantly 
    Snellville, GA

• Great cook. I learn something new here. Thanks for sharing. 
    Thanks much @NewbeeMinimax we all do, that’s the best part of this group!

• That sounds like very good logic to me. Definitely going to try this with the next bird. Unfortunately my knife skills lack significantly 

It’s too easy and it gets easier with time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku5p1CcGn70&time_continue=8

Good luck, post pics!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Never seen a bird cooked like that. Looks great!

I do it this way to make it easier, in my opinion, to get all of the breast and tender meat without having to pick the carcass clean.  Not only do I season under the skin, but I have all of the extra surface and tenders that I can season too for more flavor. Plus it becomes uniform in thickness to help cook evenly. It only takes a minute to do just about the same as clipping the spine out, so why not, right?
    Glad to see I’m not the only one deboning a spatched bird.  Makes it so much easier to cut at serving time and it cooks quicker.  You can season from both sides.  I usually just leave leg and wing bones too.  You gotta have the handles to eat those pieces.   

Nice job on the bird.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Glad to see I’m not the only one deboning a spatched bird.  Makes it so much easier to cut at serving time and it cooks quicker.  You can season from both sides.  I usually just leave leg and wing bones too.  You gotta have the handles to eat those pieces.   

Nice job on the bird.  
    Thanks much @Mattman3969 all good points!