Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot shutting off figured out

Options
 My wife gave me a small bottle for Christmas, love it love it! 

Yesterday I bought an insignia USB battery charger in order to get rid of the cord.  As many of you have reported, it shut off five or six times during a 15 minute cook, drove me nuts!  I realized the battery pack was automatically shutting off because the controller was not  hardly  drawing any power.  I went into all of the smobot controller  settings and made sure it was consuming maximum power everywhere, this morning I had it on for an hour and a half and it did not shut off once. 

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Glad you found a solution, however, mine has never shutoff with any of the battery packs I use.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Any idea about cold temps and batteries that will work in temps around zero Fahrenheit? Maybe it's just not possible at those temps. Never had an issues with the battery that was included with my Smobot order in normal conditions, but the last two cooks I've had to plug in with a cord.
    Stillwater, MN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Wasn't my Smobot but I was using my Fireboard Thursday before getting hit by the bomb cyclone. The weather started getting nasty when I was taking food off the grill and I just left the Fireboard and an external battery pack in a ziploc bag on the chair where it had been sitting. It got buried in about 8" of snow and about 24 hours later I went to dig it out.

It worked fine the whole time and the temps got into the upper teens°F. I just looked up the specs on the battery pack I was using and it says it is all good to -40°.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Much appreciated, HeavyG.
    Stillwater, MN
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Sarends- thanks for commenting on this.

Sarends previous had the backlight on dim, and if I understood correctly, had WiFi AP mode (access point mode) off.  That's a perfectly normal configuration.  However, his battery pack couldn't detect the power draw.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Sarends, but I believe you set backlight to bright, and turned on AP mode?  That would make good sense, as AP mode does increase power draw.

In our testing, we get about 10+ hours run time per 1000mah with everything turned on/up, so this could be a good solution.

• RiverRatSkier
    Options
    Any idea about cold temps and batteries that will work in temps around zero Fahrenheit? Maybe it's just not possible at those temps. Never had an issues with the battery that was included with my Smobot order in normal conditions, but the last two cooks I've had to plug in with a cord.

I ran mine on New Years Eve in the northern burbs of the twin cities with no issue.  It is a larger battery pack than required, so even when cold, it should still be able to put out some power.  I also wrapped the battery and controller in a kitchen towel and set that close to the egg.  With snow, ass a plastic bag or covered container.