Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT What The Health OT

g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
Just checking to see if anyone has watched this documentary on Netflix? This is a food forum and I thought it was interesting to see if anyone had watched. Makes you think about what we are putting into our bodies. I will be the first to say I eat way to much red meat. 

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I am trying to add more vegetables but I will never be a vegetarian much less a vegan. I don’t have Netflix though so I am guessing about the content.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I do like brisket. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm trying to eat more vegetarians.
    They are willing victims.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    They are willing victims.
    Sounds like a soilent green approach. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    I heard they "taste like chicken"
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• g8golfer said:
    Just checking to see if anyone has watched this documentary on Netflix? This is a food forum and I thought it was interesting to see if anyone had watched. Makes you think about what we are putting into our bodies. I will be the first to say I eat way to much red meat. 
    Interesting.  I’ll have to check it out.  I think a lot of this sort of thing tends to be sensationalized, but we’ll see.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    There is generally a tremendous amount of propaganda in many of these 'documentaries'.  If you follow the money  you will find out whose agenda is being pushed.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
     Salad is what my food eats, as I am a meatatarian.  On another note, if you haven’t watched Chef’s Table on Netflix you’re missing out. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    The original, "Faces of Death" slaughterhouse scenes were pretty cool.  Not quite as nice as a trip to @20stone garage during what's becoming their semi-annual pig culling.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike said:
     Salad is what my food eats, as I am a meatatarian.  On another note, if you haven’t watched Chef’s Table on Netflix you’re missing out. 
    Great show!
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    thetrim said:
    The original, "Faces of Death" slaughterhouse scenes were pretty cool.  Not quite as nice as a trip to @20stone garage during what's becoming their semi-annual pig culling.
    I know that was tongue in cheek, but I am very down on industrial meat production.  I am grateful that I can get most of my consumable critters from sources I know and can trust.

In most places, you can find a local farmer that raises their animals that way that our (great) grandparents did.  Here is a link that I just Googled (there may be better sites, but this popped up first):
    http://www.eatwild.com/index.html

We often comment that our pigs just have one bad day (as opposed to a completely bad lifetime), but it occurs to me that they are all barrows*, so make that two bad days.

* The pig equivalent of a capon, or a gelding, or a steer 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Cows are vegetarians.  Just sayin.
    NOLA
  • tymaier
    tymaier Posts: 93
    Since watching that, we eat almost every lunch and breakfast vegan. Handful of our dinners too. Have been buying higher quality meat as well. I’ve purchased eggs once in the last six months.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    buzd504 said:
    Cows are vegetarians.  Just sayin.
    That was exactly my point.
    20stone said:
    thetrim said:
    I know that was tongue in cheek, but I am very down on industrial meat production.  I am grateful that I can get most of my consumable critters from sources I know and can trust.

In most places, you can find a local farmer that raises their animals that way that our (great) grandparents did.  Here is a link that I just Googled (there may be better sites, but this popped up first):
    http://www.eatwild.com/index.html

We often comment that our pigs just have one bad day (as opposed to a completely bad lifetime), but it occurs to me that they are all barrows*, so make that two bad days.

* The pig equivalent of a capon, or a gelding, or a steer 
    Yes it was.  Plus, you don't actually do the dirty deed at all, right?  Much less do it in that palace of a garage you have, right?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I have a colleague who loved the documentary and has bought into many of its claims. I have not seen it and should reserve judgment, but I am skeptical.

http://nationalpost.com/life/food/why-netflix-documentary-what-the-health-has-got-nutritional-advice-very-very-wrong

Among a host of other things, this article about the film cites the use of the “meaningless and fear-mongering term ‘toxin’ without explaining what it means”. This alone would likely be enough to turn me off from watching it.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Haven't watched that one but I'll check it out. I've watched many other similar documentaries.

I would agree that most folks probably should eat far more vegetable matter than they do but I don't think completely excluding meat (red or otherwise) means one will necessarily be any healthier.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Watch one of the Michael Pollan documentaries - he’s practical and straightforward, definitely not a food activist.  In Defense of Food is a good one to start with, his Cooked series is good as well.  I believe he’s a professor of journalism, so his research and storytelling is pretty interesting.
  • g8golfer
    This is a scare tactic type. Neat to watch. Just shows how must of our illness is linked to processed foods. Got a good friend of mine that has been doing plant based diet for about 6 months. Said it’s the best he has ever felt period. Says he has tons of energy and just feels better overall. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Yeah, pretty much any overarching “This food or type of food is killing us” show is all BS, just because diet is such a personal thing.

Pollan does have the absolute best general advice on diet:  

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• g8golfer said:
    This is a scare tactic type. Neat to watch. Just shows how must of our illness is linked to processed foods. Got a good friend of mine that has been doing plant based diet for about 6 months. Said it’s the best he has ever felt period. Says he has tons of energy and just feels better overall. 
    If this documentary really made you think, there’s one on climate change you should probably watch.  
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer said:
    If this documentary really made you think, there’s one on climate change you should probably watch.  
    I’m game to watch just name it. I try to not just see one party side. I’m open minded. I’m liberal on some policy’s and conservative on others. 
  • watched tonight, wasn’t impressed. I feel it’s another story of how going to the extreme on one side or the other is the only way to go. As in all things, balance is key. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    I’m game to watch just name it. I try to not just see one party side. I’m open minded. I’m liberal on some policy’s and conservative on others. 
    Good for you. 

I'm not that guy that follows the other lemmings. I need to be informed to my satisfaction by various sources of information, sources with veracity.  I couple that information into my theorum of world-view, a model that changes ever so slightly as new information is gained.  I try ignoring populous bias and weigh information based on source, science, data and trying to make the world a better, more successful and safer place for all, and that bias is weighed to the long run, as we humans will be on the planet for as long as we can control ourselves enough to not self-exterminate.