Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too cold for new Egg??

I’ve been Egging for a while now on a well broken in medium that I inherited. Well, Santa brought me an XL for Christmas and I’m dying to crank her up. The sales person told my wife not to cook for the first time in cold weather. Any truth to that? I haven’t been able to find any info to back that up but I know this is the spot for the answer! Thanks and happy holidays!
I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Hmmmm, never heard that before.  I wouldn't go blazing hot out of the gates, but a few cooks at moderate temps should be fine.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Never trust a sales person! ;) Fire it up and cook away! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Exactly what I though! Thanks
  • I agree I wouldn’t do a high heat cook. The manual does say to keep it under 300 maybe the first few cooks to help the gasket seal. My large is currently running and it is 10 Fahrenheit outside. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Skrullb
    Oh yeah, just a brisket.
  • Skrullb
    I’ve cooked on my medium a ton in the cold, but they said not to for the first cook...I wasn’t too worried about but wanted to check with the experts. Gonna be a brisket low and slow 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    My medium is currently cooking a turkey breast. Its about 3 degrees out. Fire that bad boy up and enjoy the brisket. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Great score with the XL-congrats.  Have fun with the brisket cook on the significantly more real estate.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    Best combo there is 
  • Skrullb said:
    Yes. I’m excited for the upgrade. They look great next to eachother!
    Photo looks great and loving that set up, but I now also have to question what you mean by "cold weather"? It's obviously all relative, but I was expecting something more tundra looking. Cook away, sir!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited December 2017
    Now my medium looks like a baby. It's only in the 20's and the sun is out.
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb said:
    Yes. I’m excited for the upgrade. They look great next to eachother!
    Photo looks great and loving that set up, but I now also have to question what you mean by "cold weather"? It's obviously all relative, but I was expecting something more tundra looking. Cook away, sir!
    Thank you. My gas smoke vault didn’t make it into the picture. The question about “cold” is the same thing I wondered about. It’s 24 here now but around 40 for tomorrow. I wasn’t too concerned about it, just didn’t know if heading it for the first time in cold weather was bad...
  • Skrullb
    Best combo there is 
    I’m excited about it. I love the medium for pizzas and using my wok, etc...but needed more space for big cooks!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    24? Wouldn't worry about that at all.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Drive it like you stole it. With a lifetime warranty, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The ceramic isn't green and I doubt that you will get it kiln temperature hot. 
    "Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience!"
  • I agree I wouldn’t do a high heat cook. The manual does say to keep it under 300 maybe the first few cooks to help the gasket seal. My large is currently running and it is 10 Fahrenheit outside. 
    What's a gasket?  I don't have anything like that on my Eggs.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Theo2
    Theo2 Posts: 5
    Skrullb said:
    I’ve been Egging for a while now on a well broken in medium that I inherited. Well, Santa brought me an XL for Christmas and I’m dying to crank her up. The sales person told my wife not to cook for the first time in cold weather. Any truth to that? I haven’t been able to find any info to back that up but I know this is the spot for the answer! Thanks and happy holidays!

• Theo2
    Theo2 Posts: 5
    I’m about to smoke a 14 pound brisket tomorrow morning. Bluffton SC is seeing some it’s coldest weather to date. Morning temps will be 27 degrees, I’m going for 235 degrees but the Egg will take this cold and heat. Here’s looking at you! 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Get that new one dirty. Nice score.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Theo2 said:
    I’m about to smoke a 14 pound brisket tomorrow morning. Bluffton SC is seeing some it’s coldest weather to date. Morning temps will be 27 degrees, I’m going for 235 degrees but the Egg will take this cold and heat. Here’s looking at you! 
    I could be in the low country by dinner.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    The beauty of the Egg is it doesn't care how cold it is outside. Rock on with a cook. You won't hurt the Egg. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Other than fuel consumption there's not an issue cooking in cold weather. The ceramics still take time to heat up so it will simply take longer in frigid temps. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skrullb
    Yeah I’ve cooked on my medium in the cold plenty of times. My concern was just about a warning about the first cook on a new Egg in the cold weather. I didn’t think it was legit but wanted to check!
  • I ran my XL and large hard in cold weather (new eggs), thinking I would test the warranty.  3 years later I still run the XL at 550 every Saturday night (steak night) even in 6 degree temps! That’s why I bought it new from a local dealer!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Fire it up.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    New Years eve, 16 degrees. I had 2 eggs going. Filets tured out great.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I am not sure I'd recommend the first cook if it was below freezing because of seating the felt and not knowing the general 'how to's with the egg.  It's the old story, felt froze together and ripped off when I opened the egg, not knowing any better........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    9 degrees here. About to fire her up for Grandpa Grub's Pot Roast in the Cast Iron. 
    New Albany, Ohio