Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meater

Options
First experience with the "Meater" thermometer tonight.  I used it on a Weber gas grill for a thick cut pork chop on a cast iron grill;  it is a sensational piece of equipment.  (Meater.com).  It only has a range of 30 feet to your phone but if you have two devices that can be extended and to the home WIFI even further (will set that up tomorrow)  It is far easier that the Maverick spin offs.  I look forward to it for my extended cooks.
Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• Driller
    Driller Posts: 56
    Options
    Anyone want to buy a Maverick.... cheap!

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    meater..

you meater...you broughter
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I've been happy with the performance of the Meater. But the only reason I bought it, and the only times I've used it, was for chickens on the BGEtisserie. 

For meats on the grid, I have a Maverick, a Smoke, and a FB200, all of which get used extensively.

One tip: be aware that the exposed end of the Meater will accumulate a thin coating of smoke residue while in use. If you're not diligent about cleaning that off, it can prevent it from making a good enough contact to recharge in the case. I found that out the hard way. Still, it's an extremely minor issue.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Driller
    Driller Posts: 56
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    I've been happy with the performance of the Meater. But the only reason I bought it, and the only times I've used it, was for chickens on the BGEtisserie. 

For meats on the grid, I have a Maverick, a Smoke, and a FB200, all of which get used extensively.

One tip: be aware that the exposed end of the Meater will accumulate a thin coating of smoke residue while in use. If you're not diligent about cleaning that off, it can prevent it from making a good enough contact to recharge in the case. I found that out the hard way. Still, it's an extremely minor issue.
    I just found the Maverick in BGE green clothing, to be way to frustrating to set up.  It worked but getting the temps set was a joke.