Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pecan smoked chicken and 4 cheese and mac casserole, with home-made onion rings

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,984
Comfort food tonight. My Beautiful Wife loved it along with the pairing of a 2014 Carignan. Very nice, elegant and soft. Perfect compliment to a smoked, spiced casserole. The onion rings were magnificent as well. 
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    That looks awesome.

Do you have a shot of the wine label?
    NOLA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It all looks magnificent Ron.  Nice idea on the casserole.  Homemade rings, always killer.  Strong bro.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:
    Comfort food tonight. My Beautiful Wife loved it along with the pairing of a 2014 Carignan. Very nice, elegant and soft. Perfect compliment to a smoked, spiced casserole. The onion rings were magnificent as well. 
    Nothing but Gawjus coming out of Louisville tonight!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ron you got it going on tonight!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    buzd504 said:
    That looks awesome.

@buzd504
    I thought you might want this, sorry I did not post sooner:

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Looks outstanding-I thought about firing up my medium today but too darn cold in the Carolina mountains.... I need to get back to Florida. Your recipe may be my first cook down there... Perhaps o Monday.....And yes I am a woos!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
     I gotta give this smoked m&c a try. That looks and sounds amazing!
  • YukonRon
    bgebrent said:
    It all looks magnificent Ron.  Nice idea on the casserole.  Homemade rings, always killer.  Strong bro.
    Thanks Brent, turned out very nice. I might try this at NCBBIII.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    Nothing but Gawjus coming out of Louisville tonight!
    Robin, super easy recipe, and super easy to cook, maybe 15 - 20 minutes to prep, 1 hour at 400F.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Ron you got it going on tonight!!
    Brother Johnny, always nice of you to say such kind things. Easy meal, and delicious.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    tml1230 said:
    Looks outstanding-I thought about firing up my medium today but too darn cold in the Carolina mountains.... I need to get back to Florida. Your recipe may be my first cook down there... Perhaps o Monday.....And yes I am a woos!
    Thanks for the kind words, 7F up here, and I am tired of winter already. Worth it though. You are not a woos, you are just way smarter than I.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Looking good fellow Kentuckian 
  • YukonRon
    Gym said:
     I gotta give this smoked m&c a try. That looks and sounds amazing!
    You will like it, but go super easy on the smoke. Unless you have something that performs like Rockwood, you could get some funky flavor. You do not need a lot of pecan.
    I used just one fist sized chunk of pecan, it was great.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    g8golfer said:
    Looking good fellow Kentuckian 
    Thank you sir, it is comfort food that is super easy, perfect for me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    YukonRon said:
    buzd504 said:
    That looks awesome.

@buzd504

Lovely, thank you.
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Looks great Ron, do you have a four cheese recipe and technique you can share?  I’ve seen the three cheese method on YouTube, but this is at least one louder.
  • Looking great from here Ron! Those O rings 
  • YukonRon
    Legume said:
    Looks great Ron, do you have a four cheese recipe and technique you can share?  I’ve seen the three cheese method on YouTube, but this is at least one louder.
    @Legume
    When I tell you how easy this is you will LYMFAO. It is a two cheese blend, already made at Costco, which I bought, dumped into a bowl, and bought their broasted chicken, chopped it up, threw it into the same bowl, mixed very well. Then in the pan you see in the picture posted, I do a layer about an inch deep pressed down, add boursin, spread it over the top, add shredded mild cheddar, black coarse ground pepper, minced garlic, and onion paste.
    Repeat with second layer, cover pan bake indirect at 400 for an hour or until the cheese has sufficiently melted throughout, using one fist sized chunk of pecan.
    I serve it with a 75% Sriracha and 25% honey drizzle.
    So easy and so freaking good. My Beautiful Wife took some to work today for herself and her friends, they loved it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    buzd504 said:
    YukonRon said:
    buzd504 said:
    That looks awesome.

@buzd504

Lovely, thank you.
    No problem, you will enjoy this one.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited January 2018
    Looking great from here Ron! Those O rings 
    @CigarCityEgger
     The rings were labor intensive but, relatively simple. Mixed 1 cup GP flour, 1tsp baking powder, and 1tsp seasoned salt, whisked thoroughly, threw yellow oninion rings sliced 1/4 inch thick, in a bowl and tossed them in about 2 TBS flour mixture first and set aside.
    Added 1 cup of milk and one well beaten egg to the flour mixture. Whisked until smooth. Placed the onions in the mix, then dredged in Panco and deep fried at 350F for about 4-5 minutes. One onion fed 4. Worth it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:
    @CigarCityEgger
     The rings were labor intensive but, relatively simple. Mixed 1 cup GP flour, 1tsp baking powder, and 1tsp seasoned salt, whisked thoroughly, threw yellow oninion rings sliced 1/4 inch thick, in a bowl and tossed them in about 2 TBS flour mixture first and set aside.
    Added 1 cup of milk and one well beaten egg to the flour mixture. Whisked until smooth. Placed the onions in the mix, then dredged in Panco and deep fried at 350F for about 4-5 minutes. One onion fed 4. Worth it.

What kind of onion ring batter doesn't have beer? Oops....forgot you were from Kentucky.....no bourbon either?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I would be happy to have that plate in front of me. I can almost smell the casserole and taste the crispness of the onion rings. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    northGAcock said:no
    YukonRon said:
    @CigarCityEgger

What kind of onion ring batter doesn't have beer? Oops....forgot you were from Kentucky.....no bourbon either?
    Sodium bicarbonate with a touch of salt performs mighty well. I would have rather used buttermilk, if I had it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    SciAggie said:
    I would be happy to have that plate in front of me. I can almost smell the casserole and taste the crispness of the onion rings. 
    The Sriracha really brings out the flavor, recommend it highly.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Great looking plate!
    Dacula, GA       LG & MM BGE's   
  • YukonRon
    edited January 2018
    Great looking plate!
    Thank you for the kind words. It is a very good and extremely easy meal to prepare

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    Great looking plate!
    Thank you for the kind words. It is a very good and extremely easy meal to prepare
    Thank you sir for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Sounds and looks great!  Is there something about this that warrants posting it to Off Topic? 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • YukonRon
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Sounds and looks great!  Is there something about this that warrants posting it to Off Topic? 
    Other than my fat fingers hitting the wrong selection. Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky