Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WTB lg BGE parts

Options
I re-read the rules but didn't see anything to forbid asking (mods: if I'm out of line here please feel free to delete) --

I have a lg BGE (inherited...no warranty) that I am looking to refurbish.  My firebox is in many pieces, the fire ring is cracked, the hinge band is old and tired. I have no rain cap. I have no cooking grid. I have no therm. I am wishing for a coneggtor/plate setter. I need a cover.

Ultimately, I want usable, functional parts but don't want to spend big bucks until I am sure I can get this rig up and running and feel comfortable with kamado cooking.

Any help would be appreciated.
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    A new fire box is not that much coin, I paid around a hundred last year for one, a grid you can get from a big box store for little $, cracked fire ring Meh, unless it is falling apart Therm, buy a digital from the Big Box and put it through the hole....All in all you are way under $200.00 to fix it up
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    when you say the band is tired, is it a scissor style band or does it have springs, if springs it probably just needs adjustment. my firebox is in a dozen pieces but puzzles back together, that you can buy new if needed. the cracked ring is fine, the rain cap is not needed, forget about the platesetter. two grids and some firebrick for raising the grid and setting up indirect is all you need for most cooks( one of those can be a cheap steel weber kettle grid). you dont need a rain cover. i went the inexpensive route for a long time. would probably buy a teltru therm, grids, firebicks, and fire box(if truly needed)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Shipping will make this project not worth the money spent.
    Your only reasonable chance is to watch Craigslist.com or some other site to find parts local. IMO

I watch Craigs list...I don't think there are more than two not-new LBGE's on sale in the whole state, nevermind parts.
    Instagram
  • lkapigian
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Shipping will make this project not worth the money spent.
    Your only reasonable chance is to watch Craigslist.com or some other site to find parts local. IMO

I watch Craigs list...I don't think there are more than two not-new lBGE's on sale in the whole state, nevermind parts.
    Keep watching , I have picked up more than 1 on CL, used good shape large for $300.00 is not uncommon
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:
    A new fire box is not that much coin, I paid around a hundred last year for one, a grid you can get from a big box store for little $, cracked fire ring Meh, unless it is falling apart Therm, buy a digital from the Big Box and put it through the hole....All in all you are way under $200.00 to fix it up
    Keep going...all he has is Base and Dome, said hinge band needs replaced. He does not even have a cooking grate. Should wait and buy a new one at a local Eggfest.
    out of curiosity , what do the Eggfest ones go for?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DWFII
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    A new, warranted firebox is nearly $160.00 from a local dealer. Fire ring almost that much. Therm is $30+/-. SS grid--$50 and up. Hinge band $125.00. Conveggor/plate setter -- $75 + S&h to $165 warranted.
    Instagram
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:
    Keep going...all he has is Base and Dome, said hinge band needs replaced. He does not even have a cooking grate. Should wait and buy a new one at a local Eggfest.
    out of curiosity , what do the Eggfest ones go for?
    One example, $750 for a large. Most other fests are similar. Full warranty.
    http://mountainegg.com/demo-eggs/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DWFII
    Options
    when you say the band is tired, is it a scissor style band or does it have springs, if springs it probably just needs adjustment. my firebox is in a dozen pieces but puzzles back together, that you can buy new if needed. the cracked ring is fine, the rain cap is not needed, forget about the platesetter. two grids and some firebrick for raising the grid and setting up indirect is all you need for most cooks( one of those can be a cheap steel weber kettle grid). you dont need a rain cover. i went the inexpensive route for a long time. would probably buy a teltru therm, grids, firebicks, and fire box(if truly needed)
    It's a spring type but there's almost no "assist" when opening th edome and while it stays upright (at about 70°) it would drop with a bang from 4 inches if let go.

The springs are new from a dealer salvage, and the hinge screws have been tightened.

The firebox is a jigsaw puzzle with a dozen pieces less than 4 or 5 sq. inches...all laying at the bottom of the main firebox body that is in  six or seven larger pieces. I am not so stuck-up that I wouldn't use (or be happy with) a cracked fire box or even the cracked fire ring but to be honest, I don't think I am up to the task of fitting all those small pieces together...and having to do it every time I wanted to cook.  
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    Options
    The main body and dome and the nest all appear to be good although there is some "crazing" on the green enamel.
    Instagram
  • fishlessman
    Options
    DWFII said:
    It's a spring type but there's almost no "assist" when opening th edome and while it stays upright (at about 70°) it would drop with a bang from 4 inches if let go.

The springs are new from a dealer salvage, and the hinge screws have been tightened.

The firebox is a jigsaw puzzle with a dozen pieces less than 4 or 5 sq. inches...all laying at the bottom of the main firebox body that is in  six or seven larger pieces. I am not so stuck-up that I wouldn't use (or be happy with) a cracked fire box or even the cracked fire ring but to be honest, I don't think I am up to the task of fitting all those small pieces together...and having to do it every time I wanted to cook.  
    the bolts connecting the bottom of the spring need to be perpendicular to the bracket, theres an extra nut between that spring and bracket that needs to be tightened(easy to over look that) also the base needs to be perfectly leveled, any forward tilt and the dome will drop. yes from 4 inches the dome will crash down, its not a soft drop. sounds like you will need the firebox, the ring functions even in 3 or 4 pieces. i have never owned a platesetter, its really easy to setup with firebricks, probably went ten years with bricks before getting a stone and spider from the ceramic grill store
    fukahwee maine

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    DWFII said:

The salvage springs you were given from dealer might not be from a Large BGE. They all look almost the same. just a couple extra coils on some. It would be an easy mistake to make and this would make your bands not operate correctly.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    DWFII said:

The salvage springs you were given from dealer might not be from a Large BGE. They all look almost the same. just a couple extra coils on some. It would be an easy mistake to make and this would make your bands not operate correctly.
    even the springs on the large changed 4 or 5 times over the years. another question on the spring band, is the handle flatbar welded to the band or bolted, if welded, those are mexican bands and prone to failure, circa 2001 into 2003

fukahwee maine

• DWFII
    Options
    even the springs on the large changed 4 or 5 times over the years. another question on the spring band, is the handle flatbar welded to the band or bolted, if welded, those are mexican bands and prone to failure, circa 2001 into 2003

Bolted.

Instagram
  • DWFII
    Options
    Can I bump this thread? I was hoping to pick up some critical parts from another member but they went to an earlier bidder.

So I'm back for a good cooking grid, a decent plate setter and a decent, functional therm and possibly a rain cap for a large Egg. All used but decent.

Think of me please if you have some of these parts surplus. 
    Instagram
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @DWFII -  have you had time to start on this project?? Hope all is well with you in OR.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DWFII
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    @DWFII -  have you had time to start on this project?? Hope all is well with you in OR.
    I am fine, thank you...or at least getting better B)  I have not started on this project yet (soon, soon) because the Egg is stored in the BBQ "shack" where the patio furniture is also stored for the winter.

I am compelled to wait until the big maple in the middle of the deck has finished shedding buds before we can move the patio furniture out of the BBQ shack. And I'm also waiting for my son-in-law to come for a visit and help me pull the dome--I figure that's the first issue that has to be addressed so that I can re-gasket and replace the hinge bands. Everything after that will be easy-peazy.
    Instagram
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Can you use the maple to smoke with? Could be a solution for next years cooks. =) Glad things are fine out your way.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    first thing i did with my last 2 eggs is remove the gaskets, i dont use gaskets =) really, you should have been cooking along time ago with this egg
    fukahwee maine

• DWFII
    Options
    Well, I finally got started...tool the bands and dome off. Turned the hinge right-side up (I hope) and started cleaning the rim of the base in preparation to installing a gasket. Here's proof:

Did I get the rim clean enough? Do I actually have the hinge on correctly now?
    Instagram
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Upside down, should look like this 

I’ve not been following closely but how much have you invested in this egg?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DWFII
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I just went out and flipped it.

I suppose I have about $225.00 in it now. I had to buy a new firebox (with warranty!)--about $150.00; since I didn't have "raincap" (did have a rusty daisy wheel),  I got a Smokeware cap for my b'day--$50.00+; incidentals such as permatex and pumice stone etc.--$?? Still need a cooking grid.
    Instagram
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited May 2018
    Options
    That rusty daisy wheel will clean up just fine. Clean and season like a cast iron skillet. You may not want it since you have a smokeware, but you could sell it.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    FWIW, you will not need a rain cap if you ultimately purchase a cover and vice versa. One or the other will keep rain out of your cooker when it’s not in use. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a whole band and hinge system. for a large. PM me. We’ll work out something reasonable. Almost free. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Buy a new one. The last time you will think about the price is when you buy it.  

What is your first cook going to be? 

That is the question. 
    New Albany, Ohio