Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide finishing steal

Options
Sous vide finish steak

Comments

• Paul B.
    Options
    Was trying to search for best way to finish a sous vide steak - egg or cast iron skillet and it posted a new thread...
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I personally like the high heat of the egg but I also hear the cast iron is great. Which ever you do post us a pic and an update. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Some guys here throw a cast iron in their egg...
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I sear for 90 seconds each side before and after sous vide.  I only use cast iron. I've done it on the egg and, if I've got other irons in the fire, I'll get lazy and crank up the Weber gasser to 500+. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I prefer a scorching hot CI skillet for the sear. More maillard surface area. Doesn't matter where the heat comes from, an electric stovetop, blackstone or gasser is just as good as an egg - it's only there for a couple of minutes so the egg buys you nothing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I found this interesting.  I use the chimney method if small quantities.  I've made a larger version as well so I can do multiple steaks at the same time.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1x0O-bhrw
    Phoenix 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Caveman
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Paul B.
    Paul B. Posts: 57
    Options
    So my first Sous Vide Steaks.  I give them a 8.5.  A little over...  Will go with 132 degrees next time.  Put them in a Cast Iron Skillet to sear.  Let me say 2 hours in the water takes more alcohol than I am used to.  Third bottle was a winner - sorry I was a little blurry...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Paul B. said:
    So my first Sous Vide Steaks.  I give them a 8.5.  A little over...  Will go with 132 degrees next time.  Put them in a Cast Iron Skillet to sear.  Let me say 2 hours in the water takes more alcohol than I am used to.  Third bottle was a winner - sorry I was a little blurry...
    I think you'll fit right in here.

And the steak looks good too :) CI is the way to go after SV. I personally don't see the point of firing up an egg to sear for a few minutes. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.