Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Anova

Well I finally made the jump off the deep end and purchased an Anova wifi Sous Vide. It was delivered yesterday and of course I had to mess around with it a little bit. I set it all up and used to to warm up some left over prime rib just to see how everything worked. Tonight I believe my wife and I are going to try salmon and see how that turns out. It all seems relatively easy but are there any major pointers that I need to be made aware of? 

Pure Michigan
Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Mine is still in the box. Hope to get some use out of it soon. Keep us posted. 
  • @pgprescott will do. I am planning on using it a few times this long weekend so I will be sure to post some pics. 
    Pure Michigan
  • pgprescott
    I spent a bit of time on some sous vide sites. There are a lot of cool things you can do. In addition to cooks like @JohnInCarolina pots, there are tons of cool egg dishes. I’m looking forward to doing some Scotch eggs. 
  • You’ll love it.  Not sure if I have any pointers, other than to say that it takes some getting used to in terms of understanding how time and temperature impact the final texture of the meat. If you try something SV and don’t like it, don’t give up on it.  Just explore a different temperature and or time.

And don’t forget to try the chocolate pots!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I am super excited to mess around with eggs, I think I might even do some tonight just to practice
    Pure Michigan
  • pgprescott
    I am super excited to mess around with eggs, I think I might even do some tonight just to practice
    I’m an egg lover for sure. The idea of achieving perfect temped eggs is intriguing. Running yolks! Mmmmm
  • @JohnInCarolina thanks for the heads up. I am looking forward to learning more and I am not one to give up on something. If it doesn' turn out the way I like it then I usually keep doing it until I do. 
    Pure Michigan
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Excellent.
    If you have the time and patients, cut your salmon into smaller pieces and cook at different temps. Maybe 5 degrees apart. 120,125,130,135,140. The smaller pieces will cook fast.
    Go light on the seasoning this time so you can taste the true flavor of the salmon.
    Let us know what your favorite temp is and why.
    My wife would still rather eat salmon from the can but I love it. I still prefer it grilled but SV really gives you pin point control of texture. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • @JohnInCarolina thanks for the heads up. I am looking forward to learning more and I am not one to give up on something. If it doesn' turn out the way I like it then I usually keep doing it until I do. 
    I think chicken is the meat that really exemplifies this.  You can get fairly rubbery chicken breast out of the SV.  It’s super moist, but not everyone likes that texture.  But the point is that you have a good amount of control by modulating the time and temp, and it will take awhile to dial it in the way you like it.  But once you get there it’s extremely repeatable and that’s the beauty of SV.

For me really I love combining it with the Egg to add some smoke or char.  This is the only way I do spares these days.  
  • Photo Egg
    While you are at it cooking the Salmon at different temps, toss in a bag with a couple butterflied shrimp as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • @Photo Egg funny you should say that. My wife is picking up the salmon today and I told her to get some shrimp as well. I will post some pics after the cook tonight. 
    Pure Michigan
  • Photo Egg
    @Photo Egg funny you should say that. My wife is picking up the salmon today and I told her to get some shrimp as well. I will post some pics after the cook tonight. 
    Awesome. Could also try shrimp with and without shell.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    It all seems relatively easy but are there any major pointers that I need to be made aware of?

It is easy to operate.  Make sure water levels meet the min and do not exceed the max to protect the unit.  A cover will cut down on evaporation and is worth having.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Try overnight bacon:
    1) Thick cut. I like the applewood flavored. Forget brand name.
    2) SV overnight at ~150
    3) in the morning, unpackage, wash off and pan or oven cook (it will cook faster than normal)
    4) For a twist (that everone loves) put some maple syrup (not huge amount) before you put in oven. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Well I have almost completed my first Sous Vide cook. I am doing shrimp and salmon. Both at 135°, the shrimp for 30 mins and the salmon for 45 mins. I finished the shrimp in a cast iron skillet and they were very good. Waiting for the salmon then I will throw that on the lodge as well. 

Pure Michigan
  • That shrimp looks fine china worthy! 
    Snellville, GA

• @shadowcaster Out of the blue my bride gave me that exact same unit for Christmas. I didn’t even know she knew what sv was. I made creme brûlée on Christmas night. It was awesome. 
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    @JohnInCarolina you bringing chocolate pots to BB? 
  • The salmon.........maybe it was the beer, but I doubt it. Turned out unbelievable!!! 135° for 45 minutes then tossed it on the cast iron for 2 minutes. First bite = mix drop

Pure Michigan
  • PS....paper is better than fine China, no washing at the end  =)
    Pure Michigan
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Run some pork chops, chicken breasts, mashed taters and carrots.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • g8golfer said:
    @JohnInCarolina you bringing chocolate pots to BB? 
    It’s a possibility...