Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SOUTHWESTERN PIZZA

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just cooked a great pizza (3rd so far for this newbie)--and it was a big hit with the Mrs. upon her return from work at the hospital, pulling a 12 hour shift as an RN on Valentines Day. 1/2 and 1/2 whole wheat and regular flour dough with oregano thrown in before kneading--prior to prepping all ingredients, grilled a couple of well-seasoned chicken breasts (later chopped), and sauteed a bunch of chopped green onions and about 1/2lb. of mushrooms in olive oil to go on top. My base sauce was a homemade red chile sauce mixed w/a small amount of olio d' oliva, and dropped the above onion/mushrooms and chicken on top, along with a quarter cup of sliced fresh cilantro, 1/2 red onion sliced in ringlets, and a ton of mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top. Finally (this time) got the Egg, with the plate sitter and my stone, up to about 550, and slid the pie on. Cooked it for about 12 minutes, and then cranked off the air except for the air vents on the top wheel, and let it dwell for about 3-4 minutes more.
The crust was not quite as crisp as I usually prefer, but that was mostly due to the big load on top that moisturized things to the max.
Momma loved it, because I didn't go ape on the garlic (none) that she burps up the next day, and the 13 year old wasn't burnt out by the red chile sauce base, as the cook process plus the ingredients, minimized it's usual heat impact. Something different, and now it's time to beg for some of the chocolates I gave her. ***If you like some Southwestern (especially "New" Mexican) cuisine and it's flavors, feel free to email me and I'll share anything I know!!

Comments