Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rotisserie Turkey

Options
Looking for how do cook an 8# Turkey on the Joetisserie.  Anyone done one?  Time and temp info would be appreciated.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I've done this, push lump to rear .. position a firebrick in center of firebowl, your gonna get alot of fat drippings so you'll need HDAF or ? in front of brick to catch them. Don't worry about temp thou I let my egg settle @ 325-350 or so - after 1.5 to 2 hrs check temp and proceed accordingly. My finish was almost 4 hrs
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • johnnyringo
    Options
    Thank you, I don't have a firebrick so what about using the platesetter?
    HDAF?  Not familiar with it's meaning.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil.
    You don't need an actual firebrick - myself, i wrap HDAF several times and let her do its job. I also go direct, with the lump pushed back and the brick in the middle you create a cool section. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I thought 8# Turkey was catch and release! LOL
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • johnnyringo
    Options
    Unimpressed with the end result. Cooked faster than I expected! Temp ran at 300 max.  Checked  bird temp at 2 hours and it was 180!  Breast was dry and a bit tough, dark was much better and moist.  Smoke flavor I did not care for.
    Doubt I'll try that again. 
    Does anyone ever run their egg up to say 500 to purge?  Just thinking,
    Thanks to all. Trust your Christmas was enjoyable. JR
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @johnnyringo sorry I just saw this. 

I tried a small tirkey when I got one and was also kinda “meh”. I spatchcocked a second one and it turned out much better. 

And yes, you can run at 500 easy. Any time I have a really fatty food or I have a rotisserie chicken or something I let it run that hot just so I don’t have a fish or pizza or whatever come out funky. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN