Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maxed out our Rockfish catch....

JethroVA
JethroVA Posts: 1,251

Rockfish for dinner the next few nights plus going in the freezer.  Four of us caught our limit of two each in 3 hours.  Best rockfish day ever.  Chesapeake Bay out of Deltaville.   My brother is the captain and I run the back of the boat.  That's me in the middle with my bro and son.  Four were more than 30", Biggest was 33".  We've caught bigger rockfish but this was the most pounds we boated.   I'm thinking of pan searing and topping with a lemon butter cream sauce. 

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• Very nice. Great eating there
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Yes! "Rockfish Chesapeake" some of those bad boys with crab imperial. Oysters raw and fried for appetizers and tell me what time to arrive.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Great eating fish- you are in for some fine meals. 

I also like a ver blanc with some capers tossed in for white fish. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2017
    Nice striped bass haul
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    WOWSER! Those must have been fun catching and now eating!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Some good looking fish!

Better get a cast iron hot tonight. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I've never heard them called Rockfish

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    In VA and above, they are called Rockfish. Same with Redfish. They are Red Drum up there. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    It is a shame  can only hit “like” once.

What did you get them on? Chunking? Clams and/or bunker? 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    In VA and above, they are called Rockfish. Same with Redfish. They are Red Drum up there. 
    I've actually never heard them called Rockfish outside of the Chesapeake Bay diaspora.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I've actually never heard them called Rockfish outside of the Chesapeake Bay diaspora.
    In addition to rockfish some of us also call them "stripers". Don't know if that is just a Chesbay thing or also used farther north/south along the coast.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    HeavyG said:
    In addition to rockfish some of us also call them "stripers". Don't know if that is just a Chesbay thing or also used farther north/south along the coast.
    They are stripers everywhere south of the Bay.  
  • Nice haul brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    In DE Bay Area, NJ and PA they are stripers.

Call them what you want... they are delicious! 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Rockfish are some amazing tasting fish! I've stuffed them with crabmeat before....delicious.  Nice catch for sure!
  • JethroVA
    @Sea2Ski we were trolling Mann's Stretch 25s, red head white body. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    @Wolfpack I took your advice and made a beurre blanc.  Allrecipes.com Chef John's Beurre Blanc.  It was perfect.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Nice catch.  On Cape Cod they're called stripers.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Here on the Long Island Sound they are called Stripers. Nice catch!

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Nice catch. Love some rockfishing and they are delicious 
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • JethroVA
    @Gman2 these were caught off Windmill bar at the mouth of the Rapp. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited January 2018
    Searching around for Rockfish recipes, I found this.  Nice Stripers, @JethroVA Mrs. 500 is raving about Rockfish from Edo's Squid in Richmond, so I thought I hunt out a place to get some and grill them up this cold weekend.  Will likely get them from Bon Air Seafood.  I'll have to skip your Beurre Blanc version.  Too much fat for Mrs. 500.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Nice catch and great eating!
    It's been years since I've caught one of those.
    Loved jigging for them with bucktails and diamond jigs.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset