Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What would you pay for a used Primo Oval XL 400?

I have a co-worker who I think the world of, she lost her husband this past summer. He was a great guy, and just so happened to love to grill. According to her he had 5-7 grills, I am not even sure what all he had. I do know he had Primo Oval XL 400 and she asked me if I would be interested in taking it off her hands.

Do I need another ceramic cooker? Probably not.

What do y’all think would be a fair price? I don’t want to steal it from my friend. At the same time I do think she wants to “clean up” her patio so to speak, and I don’t think she wants to deal with Craigslist etc.

What do y’all think is a fair offer? 

Comments

• I don't think I would go much higher than $600.  From what I remember, I believe the Primo warranty can only be used by original purchaser.  
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • Cut me and I bleed green but if I were anywhere near that I would jump on it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,164
    With the BGE the general consensus is that a non-warranty BGE is worth around 50% of retail going in.  Obviously circumstances can make moves on that, along with accessories that are independent of that mark-down.  
    BTW- her situation sucks so you are taking the high-road to help her out.  
    You will know the right thing and then do it.  Good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Those are kick ass.  I would offer whatever the low end of the going rate is on craigslist.  
    The warranty is just like BGE and only applies to the original owner. I would ask her about the warranty info to begin with just to make sure that her husband kept all the receipts to see if a warranty claim could even be made.

Since you are close to the seller if you ever did need warranty support you could probably arrange that via her making the claim and having the parts sent to her home.

The price you are proposing seems fair. If there are a lot of accessories to go along with it I would probably offer more. Perhaps even offer more if you like some of the other grills there and perhaps work out some "package deals".

Even if you don't  buy any of the grills I'm sure she would appreciate your help in selling them all off.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    make sure you really examine the bottom of the base well for hairline cracking, she can get it replaced under warranty before you buy it if its cracked. ovals used to crack more than the round ones, not sure if they fixed that or if it could even be fixed with the design. they are nice cookers, wish they caught on up here, i would have one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • If it has the cart and folding shelves w/rack system, these sell for over $1650.  Pretty sweet setup.  The nearest dealer to me is 2.5 hours away (Wichita KS), so that's why I like my BGE. My dealer is 1/2 mile from the house.

Should be pretty easy to sell in $600-700 price range.

• Awesome two zone kamado, great addition to your egg. I have the 300 and it does get used more than my MBGE. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I almost pulled the trigger on an XL with D plates, D racks and some other goodies. They started off asking something like $1,100 or $1,200...and he settled on $750. I didn't even talk him down...just wanted to get rid of it and though I think Primo's are great, smaller resale audience. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker