Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuff to do in and around Denver, CO

Options
We've managed to get a good deal on flights and car hire to Denver next September. The plan is to go there, head over to Yellowstone and back again. Would appreciate recommendations for stuff to do in the area, state or other types of parks to visit, also anything between there and Yellowstone? Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Coors brewery tour is good.  There's also a transportation museum on the north side of town that was well worth it.  Hiking in boulder was fun. 

Ruffs bbq shop and proud souls bbq shop!!! 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Landing in Denver(?), driving to Yellowstone and back will be a colorful trip!!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    https://youtu.be/_h-Nud8DcnE

Kidding of course :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    This past summer my family and in laws drove from Georgia to Yellowstone and then back to Denver where my family flew back to Atlanta leaving the in laws out there for another week or so. I didn’t spend any time in Denver but did stay in Steamboat Springs the last night which was a pretty neat little town and also stopped in Jackson Hole and spent the afternoon. It was also a neat little town. I would recommend staying in one of those towns on the way to Yellowstone. Stayed in Cody, Wy for two nights  during the Yellowstone trip. It was a fun town and has a rodeo every night of the week during the summer months. Trout fished while in Cody was fun, there was river rafting that also looked like fun but I didn’t have time to do that. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    We went to Breckenridge in late May a few years ago, and drove over to Estes Park, just north of Denver. Our plan was for just a day trip, but enjoyed it so much we spent the night and explored Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park for two days. Highly recommend it.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    If you like prime music venues, go out to Red Rocks for lunch.  You can see the beautiful venue and small museum and have lunch which is very good. Beautiful look back at the Denver skyline from the top.  Often times there will be a band practicing.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    If you like prime music venues, go out to Red Rocks for lunch.  You can see the beautiful venue and small museum and have lunch which is very good. Beautiful look back at the Denver skyline from the top.  Often times there will be a band practicing.
    Agree. We stopped at Red Rocks on our way from Denver to Breckenridge just to see the place. It is a beautiful venue and I bet a fantastic place to see a concert. Well worth seeing.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    If your gonna be in downtown Denver, and want some great bbq, GQ BBQ Restaurant is pretty awesome. Garden of the Gods is another great place to see, The Airforce Academy is also nice, more food? Gotta hit Rudy's bbq ..
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    New Belgium brewery tour is a lot of fun.  Also Rocky Mountain state park is beautiful
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Got married in Estes Park. Coors brewery is nice, and they give three free beers. Red Rocks is wonderful. I would recommend anyone to take in a show there. As the sun goes down it turns into a different place.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I hear the hippie lettuce/devil’s spinach is legal in that part of the woods. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I hear the hippie lettuce/devil’s spinach is legal in that part of the woods. 
    Find the bud man!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I hear gummies is where it's at....according to the intern at work anyways 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I hear gummies is where it's at....according to the intern at work anyways 
    Allegedly. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Just take it slow. There are a whole lot more "vitamins" in those sorts. According to an intern and such.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Just take it slow. There are a whole lot more "vitamins" in those sorts. According to an intern and such.
    Those vitamins may or may not take affect in a period of time that is convenient for you but they do last long past any period that is convenient for you. Allegedly of course. That’s what the interns all say. 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I knew that would come up, hard to believe it took to the second post! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Skip the gummies, move on to wax or shatter if you want to explore the outer limits - not for the weak, timid or inexperienced...

What kind of activities do you and the fam enjoy?
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations so far.

@Spaightlabs we're into outdoors, scenery and wildlie, photography of both. Not big hiking fans. Happy to walk in the wilderness a bit, but not all day/overnight hikes.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    hey Storm. I live in Denver.  All the right suggestions here.  from the airport, you'll be on the north side and headed north.  Estes park is always well worth it (good chance to see elk and moose).  Boulder has a great downtown / foodie scene. going more north, Ft Collins is a great stop for brew tours (if you like the Colorado craft beer scene) - Horsetooth reservoir is a scenic place there too. 

If you get extra time (you can spend a lot of time to really see Yellowstone) - think about a trip into the mountains.  Take I-70W from Denver.  Breckenridge is a lot of fun. Best and most unique rock and fossils shop I have ever seen. Great food. Distillery is there (Breck Bourbon is my goto). Frisco is nice.

In Denver, Red Rocks is one of the coolest venues.  Worth seeing if there is anything scheduled while you are around.  Downtown is good, great food.

South of Denver (about an hour) - Garden of the gods is VERY scenic. Colorado Springs also has the air force academy, 7 Falls.  Feel free to ping me if you want some back roads or anything while you are here. 
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Love that part of the country.  Have you been out there at all before?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    @jbreed that's great, local advice, appreciate it. I'll get our dates sorted then ping you. We've got nearly 3 weeks there starting around 1st September, although the focus is Yellowstone in the Fall for photography. The core of the galaxy will be visible at a 12 degree inclination on 6th September 2018, and it's my birthday, so we aim to be in Yellowstone for that. We can top and tail the Yellowstone bit with Denver stuff though.

@JohnInCarolina we've not been that far east before. We've covered quite a locations in the Western USA though, the furthest east has been Yellowstone. The Denver => Yellowstone => Denver loop will be our second trip next year. In June we're doing SF => Boise => Yellowstone => Salt Lake => Moab => Monument Valley => Las Vegas.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @jbreed that's great, local advice, appreciate it. I'll get our dates sorted then ping you. We've got nearly 3 weeks there starting around 1st September, although the focus is Yellowstone in the Fall for photography. The core of the galaxy will be visible at a 12 degree inclination on 6th September 2018, and it's my birthday, so we aim to be in Yellowstone for that. We can top and tail the Yellowstone bit with Denver stuff though.

@JohnInCarolina we've not been that far east before. We've covered quite a locations in the Western USA though, the furthest east has been Yellowstone. The Denver => Yellowstone => Denver loop will be our second trip next year. In June we're doing SF => Boise => Yellowstone => Salt Lake => Moab => Monument Valley => Las Vegas.
    Awesome.  That Moab->Monument Valley area is amazing.  I’m sure you’re planning to do Arches, which is one of my favorite national parks.

The other is really Rocky Mountain National Park.  It might be a little out of your way this time but if you have a chance in the future it’s definitely worth checking out.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Moab and Monument valley are stunning -it's gonna be a smidgin warm by June, but it's a dry heat...

If you have a few extra hours see if you can get to Escalante/Grand Staircase area.  It's  few hours but is also spectacular and will be shrinking dramatically soon...some of the best canyoneering in the country if you are so inclined...

• Dlahood
    Options
    You want a great meal, go to snake river grill in Jackson.  Reach out to me as I live in Denver and lived in Jackson in the past.  Great time to go in Sept.  less people