Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 bone, 14 lb Prime Rib

Options
Have this one sitting in the fridge for a quick dry aging session... Question: (and before everyone jumps on me about the search function - I tried and the responses were all over the map)

I will be cooking it to 125* - what is a good estimate on time per pound at 300*. I'd like to get a decent estimate so I can try and time dinner to within 30 mins. 

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• GaryLange
    Options
    I did a seven pound prime rib roast at 250 degrees to 110 degrees internal and it took about 4 hours. The main thing with these is to get them tied up as round as you can get them. I followed AmazingRibs.com site and it came out perfect. Cut the bones off and put them in the pan below the roast and had the roast as high in the pan as possible so that the heat would hit it on all sides. Took it out at 110 degrees and covered it while the Asparagus was roasting and it cam up to 120 degrees and was a beautiful pink from the edge to edge.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Do what Cap said

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    The lower the roasting temp the easier it is to get the wall-to-wall pink you're looking for.
    Stillwater, MN
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Timing is by thickness, not weight.  30 minutes per inch in diameter cooking at 250º is a good estimate to get it to 130º internal.  Less for 300º going to 125º.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Do you think the answers will be more precise this time.lol
    I really should keep notes on cooks but I don't.
    But think of the BGE like an oven, so you can follow any good advice from any food web site.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Whatever time you decide to start on, add a fudge factor. You can always hold FTC for a while and still wow the guests. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Go low....it can rest a long time before cutting / eating. Be careful it can get there before you would think. Myself, I would pull at 115-120. Just how I roll. Regardless....you will find great joy!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow