Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning

Options
Do I ever have to clean my egg? I remove the ash pretty regular, but should I be doing other cleaning?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Not more than what you're already doing unless stuff inside the top dome is falling into your food and making it crunchy.
    Options
    Keep the cooking grid clean.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Keep the cooking grid clean.
    That's what dogs are for. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    High temp cooks usually do a nice job cleaning out your egg. I'll maybe do clean burn once a year. (Load the egg with lump and leave off the daisy wheel and keep the lower vent wide open for a few hours. Make sure to remove the thermometer before doing so. I also remove the grid. I also don't recommend doing this if it's a used egg with no warranty) Some might tell you not to do the clean burn because the risk of cracking. It's never been an issue the last 7 years for me but not saying it couldn't happen. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I'm in the "BGE use is sufficient" camp.  Periodically I would pull the guts and clean out the ash that accumulates behind the fire-box holes but that's the extent of the additional effort.
    Fire is a great cleaner and sanitizer.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Agree with lousubcap.  I will do a clean burn if I get some mold buildup.  That happens occasionally here in the humid summer months.   
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I do a clean burn at 650-700 every 90 days or so.  Has not hurt the gasket on my 2 year old XL yet.  
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    I do a clean burn at 650-700 every 90 days or so.  Has not hurt the gasket on my 2 year old XL yet.  
    I spent the night in Hays on a road trip to Colorado about 5 years ago. Cant remember much, but we did find a wonderful steak and awesome libations somewhere.

Agreed on the clean burn - I have a 15 year old egg that has been clean burned at least 20 times - no issues. 
    Memphis, TN 

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Hays is the “libation” capital of Kansas.  Most alcohol consumed per capita in the state!  We are finally getting a lot of BBQ chains to locate here, and have a couple of locals with “competition” quality bbq doing catering.  Kansas City quality pit bar-be-cue with award winning micro-brewery special brews.  Lots of culture in a small town off I-70!
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Hays is the “libation” capital of Kansas.  Most alcohol consumed per capita in the state!  We are finally getting a lot of BBQ chains to locate here, and have a couple of locals with “competition” quality bbq doing catering.  Kansas City quality pit bar-be-cue with award winning micro-brewery special brews.  Lots of culture in a small town off I-70!
    Just read this to my wife, and she says we need another road trip through Kansas!! Our MO is to leave Memphis in August when the humidity is 100% and temps are horrendous - and head to Mountains.    
    Memphis, TN