Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A rookie's thoughts on rockwood lump

2»

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    @stlcharcoal do you ship to  Kauai or France? The three bags should last an aggressive month of cooking. 
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Killitandgrillit,, I am still howling at your response ...i
    that sir  is an all time classic that I just shared with my wife who is still laughing...thanks very much for making our evening! 
    I get the whole Florida whack job reference... Been here for  40 years....and u are spot on with your observations.... But after just returning From 2 days in California.... We are way more normal here in the sunshine state than in California.
    apparently at the airport in California,my wife advises me ,   I made an off  the cuff remark about Nancy pelosi that went over like a fart in a tub of hot water. Go figure.
    i am now done with this website...

Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !

There ya go, fixed that signature for u brother =)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I am not new to this site but just not able to buy the stuff I really want. I just ordered a rutland gasket and a FlameBoss 300 which I should have done years ago.  Also, I need to quit looking at Ceramic Grill Store and This site as they make me drool. If You do not have a thermapen please think about getting one. I have the regular and the MK4 and they are my favorites even if cooking inside.  As to this site, IF YOU'R NOT LOOKING, YOU'R NOT COOKING. This is the best bunch of guys I have never met but would love to be around.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    @stlcharcoal do you ship to  Kauai or France? The three bags should last an aggressive month of cooking. 
    Kauai.....yes, through Ace.  Might take a while though.  I don't know how there distribution chain works to get it there.

France.....no, not yet.
  • Dammit, now I am gone have to find a bag of Rockwood somewhere. And Go Dawgs!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    This reminds me I need to go buy some more Rockwood at my local egg store soon.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    This reminds me I need to go buy some more Rockwood at my local egg store soon.

Got two pallets leaving today for Hot Spot.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    @oldmandawg - here's the door-to-door Rockwood solution:
    https://rockwood-charcoal.myshopify.com/  Buy on-line.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I'm lucky. My local Ace Hardware carries Rockwood and they are only about a half mile away on the edge of my subdivision. Of course they set a dear price for Rockwood but hey, they have Cowboy at a lower price.?
  • This thread cracks me up. I am just like the OP. I have bought things based on conversations here, including Rockwood, which I think is the best charcoal. I don't have the KAB yet, but it is in my near future.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    camofreak said:
    This thread cracks me up. I am just like the OP. I have bought things based on conversations here, including Rockwood, which I think is the best charcoal. I don't have the KAB yet, but it is in my near future.
    You sir are what we call a “Slacker”! LOL!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    SamIAm2 said:
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !

There ya go, fixed that signature for u brother =)
    Thanks. I instantly feel poorer.  :o
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tml1230
    Ok I swear... This is absolutely my final post on this site!
    SO..u can't make this stuff up..... I am standing in line with my groceries today at the check out line at Publix. (A very popular grocery chain in the southeast)....not pigly wiggly or Harris Teeter or Costco ,but a really fine grocery store chain  none the less....their pork ...and beef brisket ...when on sale or marked down ain't all bad. I had several meat products in my cart  to cook on my new found love ...rockwood charcoal.....
    my trip to the grocery store was for the expressed purpose of burning the entire bag of rockwood as soon as humanly possible .

so, there I am in line.... And please understand that for the last 35 years I have spent much of my life in the Carolina mountains... One hour drive to Clemson South Carolina,home of Clemson University....also a short two hour drive to Athens Georgia, home of UGA.... And also an easy drive to Tuscalossa Alabama.
    I have dear friends in each of those locations who I consider my family. Additionally I feel the real estate in Gainsville Florida that houses the university of Florida is sacred ground.
    all of the above captioned locations have amazing and  rock solid college football programs.
    Upon that back drop the gentleman in line behind me begins violating my personal space ,while talking on his cell phone , at a decipal level close to a Boeing 777 at takeoff ....
    He is talking to his friend "Joey " about the unfairness of no big 10 representatives,or more importantly, no northeastern schools being represented in the college football playoffs. after that he pontificated about the friggin humidity here in "Fladah" even in freakin December.

FYI  today the humidity was lower here in Florida  than in Newark NJ, his home. (Google it,)
    My wife gave me that "look" ...u married guys know it..... 
    It didn't end there. I thought my response and  conversation with him was about on par and as humorous as the stuff I read here regularly....But I won't bore u any more ....
    the ribs I cooked with the rockwood tonite on the MM were the best ever. I think the rockwood folks are onto sumpin! 
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • lousubcap
    edited December 2017
    @tml1230 - great writing right there.  I can picture the "look".  Sounds like you exercised remarkable restraint.  I assure you such a trait will diminish as you accumulate the laps of the sun.  Enjoy Rockwood and all your protein cooks.  (Edit: Nailing...) the cook is by an order of magnitude more enjoyable to me than the result.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SamIAm2
    @tml1230 - by my calculations you only need 179 more "final posts" to reach the required level to participate as a non-noob in the 2018 EggHead Rub & Sauce Exchange. Feel free to bore us with your humorous writings as often as you care/can. I for one appreciate your point of view, although I do get the "look" from SWMBO when I start reading your post aloud, between guffaws. Just sayin'.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • tml1230
    Ok, last post I promise....since I am now the the proud owner or 3 bags of rockwood....
     Stlcharcaol, u rock!
    for Christmas My wife said I should use the rockwood on my beloved BGE  to cook ...a  Turducken....
    i am not sure if she was messing with me , since the first 4 letters of that "recipe" is turd. Any advice is appreciated.
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    lousubcap said:
      I assure you such a trait will diminish as you accumulate the laps of the sun.
    Truth. I’m getting more blunt and plain spoken every year. I have no intention of being mean or rude - I just don’t have the time for bull$hit. I’d rather be doing something productive like cooking, drinking, and being with friends. Some of my students (and parents)don’t appreciate this side of me...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    @tml1230 - no comment on how she arrived at the request.  But give the search function here a look.  
    That combo has a following and you will get great advice/suggestions as it usually becomes an enjoyable one-off.  Go forth and have fun.  
  • CaptainHero
    CaptainHero Posts: 7
    edited August 2018
    Hi - just randomly came across this post. I love Rockwood charcoal in the US, it's the best i could find. However in France nothing beats Grill-o-Bois Charbon de bois naturel. IMHO it is superior to Rockwood.
    https://www.grillobois.fr/nos-produits-culture-barbecue/
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    SSQUAL612 said:
    www.Ceramicgrillstore.com  Lots of things you never thought you’d need. 

Was going to ask if OP had been on this site yet? This IS going to cost me a few bucks in the future!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    I’ve been ordering Rockwood from Ace on the Internet lately because of the price. I picked up a partial order last week when one of the Ace employees asked me why I was using it instead of something like Royal Oak. 

I explained how I felt it was superior. The employee told me he took a bag of Rockwood home and used it in his Egg. He said he was “blown away” at the difference in quality and taste. 

The local Ace is now stocking Rockwood. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • SamIAm2
    Had two bags delivered to our local ACE when that option became available at the end of July last year. Then had 3 bags delivered to the house when that became an option. My local ACE wasn't carrying it so I was driving up to T'ville to buy it. Today I was in my local ACE and saw two bags so I bought one on sale and gave it to my egging neighbor as a thank-you for helping me  replace windows. Nice to have options.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    My local Ace now carries Rockwood plus the full lineup of DP rubs as well as other rubs and sauces including Blues Hog.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Reverse flow vertical cabinet smoker.
    I.E.

Stumps Platinum 8 (new name is the 6x4)

do it right the 1st time, and never do it again...

https://stumpssmokers.com/reverse-flow-6x4-premium-edition/

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I'm now on my second bag of rockwood and have all you guys to thank for educating me   it is really good stuff

however, to me the best charcoal is the stuff I get for free by harvesting wood off of my mesquite trees.   I have a retort made and have yet to really put it into full use   stay tuned.   but I do burn mesquite wood often for pizza and steak seating and the stuff is awesome

Rockwood does burn even and I use it for those special occasions.  good stuff
  • hvhunter
    hvhunter Posts: 88
    Being a rookie myself, ditto on all of the above. I just picked up five bags at ACE. There is no comparison between the two brands; Rockwood is heads and shoulders above.

I have two bags of RO up in the barn. What to do with them both? I'm thinking of returning  themto Lowes this weekend for a store credit.