Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat tax ‘inevitable’ to beat climate and health crises, says report

Comments

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Now I've got the Beatles "Tax Man" lyrics going thru my brain. Thanks for that @Zippylip :s
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2017
    Once meat is grown in a lab, sans high carbon footprint and fartyness, we will be eating delicious zombie burgers.
    One meat is grown in a lab, sans high carbon footprint and fartyness, we will be eating delicious zombie burgers.
    Or Soylent Green.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Guardian readers are mostly vegetarians anyway.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Troof.  Current factory farming practices are unsustainable.  Eventually, meat prices are going to escalate.  Unsure if it will be a sin-tax, or just supply and demand.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    johnnyp said:
    Troof.  Current factory farming practices are unsustainable.  Eventually, meat prices are going to escalate.  Unsure if it will be a sin-tax, or just supply and demand.
    Won't be too many decades before all those aquifers in Texas, Oklahoma, etc. run dry and the face of agriculture changes dramatically.

My great grandkids will look fondly at my old Snake River Farms catalogs in a trunk in the attic and dream of the days gone by when one could buy ANY kind of briskets for less than $1000. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Life is a terminal illness.  Who gets to pick and choose the "sin" taxes?  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    HeavyG said:
    johnnyp said:
    Won't be too many decades before all those aquifers in Texas, Oklahoma, etc. run dry and the face of agriculture changes dramatically.

My great grandkids will look fondly at my old Snake River Farms catalogs in a trunk in the attic and dream of the days gone by when one could buy ANY kind of briskets for less than $1000. :)
    dont worry, we are going to build a huge solar powered wall to run a desalination plant the size of new orleans to fill those aquifers. if mexico doesnt fund it we can always tax california for the wildfire greenhouse gas pollutants
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Most of the eco problems are related to too many people. I've argued for spiking food aid with contraceptives before or providing Norplant contraceptives to women in famines regions for free. I've also been attacked by supporters of both political parties for doing so.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    HeavyG said:
    johnnyp said:

dont worry, we are going to build a huge solar powered wall to run a desalination plant the size of new orleans to fill those aquifers. if mexico doesnt fund it we can always tax california for the wildfire greenhouse gas pollutants
    Don't tax us anymore, we got enough fvcken taxes!!!

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• nolaegghead
    Most of the eco problems are related to too many people. I've argued for spiking food aid with contraceptives before or providing Norplant contraceptives to women in famines regions for free. I've also been attacked by supporters of both political parties for doing so.
    Agree.  But I don't think it's ethical to spike food or force anyone.  Making birth control and family planing available to all people and educating them it is an obvious solution.  Women should have a choice.  We've moved backwards from this because of pressure from religious groups. 

bud812 said:
    HeavyG said:
    johnnyp said:

you guys could save money and maybe help the climate change issues by eliminating those stupid hazard stickers thats stuck on all my fishing gear. this product is known to the state of california to contain lead which may result in death and blah blah blah =) yes, i already know my lead 12 pound downrigger ball contains lead and that swallowing a 12 pound lead ball may cause choking, brain defects etc    oh, and thanks for paying for the wall =)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    bud812 said:
    HeavyG said:
    johnnyp said:

you guys could save money and maybe help the climate change issues by eliminating those stupid hazard stickers thats stuck on all my fishing gear. this product is known to the state of california to contain lead which may result in death and blah blah blah =) yes, i already know my lead 12 pound downrigger ball contains lead and that swallowing a 12 pound lead ball may cause choking, brain defects etc    oh, and thanks for paying for the wall =)
    Image result for simmer down now meme

=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)
    please nola, stop eating the lead wrapper on the old wine bottles =)
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    One day, when the polar ice caps melt, the earth will be primarily water.  We will develop gills on our neck and webbing on our feet and hands.  Then we'll sail around on trimarans and Jet Skis searching for dry land while trading dirt for our necessities.  The only meat will be on the last remaining dry land atop Mt. Everest.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Most of the eco problems are related to too many people. I've argued for spiking food aid with contraceptives before or providing Norplant contraceptives to women in famines regions for free. I've also been attacked by supporters of both political parties for doing so.
    Agree.  But I don't think it's ethical to spike food or force anyone.  Making birth control and family planing available to all people and educating them it is an obvious solution.  Women should have a choice.  We've moved backwards from this because of pressure from religious groups. 

And it is ethical to have half a dozen kids that you can't feed? Charity always comes with strings. The reason that I suggested Norplant is that it works for 5 years so the wives of religious bigots don't have to have incriminating evidence around the house or need to sneak out to the clinics for shots every 6 months. Note that I never endorsed abortion as one of the choices that I support. That is an entirely different kettle of fish. Anyhow, as regarding famine aid, respond the same old way and get the same sorry results.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    bud812 said:
    HeavyG said:
    johnnyp said:

The good thing about that sticker is it keeps Rockwood outta the state. =)=)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• nolaegghead
    Sounds like you have a handle on things.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• To be clear the tax will likely not be imposed in the US anytime in the near future.  Over here, we're still quite convinced this whole climate change thing is just a hoax pulled off by the Chinese.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike