Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey

Options
I just replied to a post about smoked turkey and realized it was years old. Just want to share a simple smoked turkey recipe I have using for the last several years. It's simple.  Turkey does not have to be cooked low and slow. No connective tissue. Same temp as in the oven, 350 degrees.  I use a frozen turkey, even those cheap ones this time of year. Most have liquid added (saltwater) so no need to brine. Thaw, let sit overnight in frig to let the skin dry out. Makes it more crispy. I use pecan, apple, maple chips. Mesquite, hickory is too strong for turkey. Salt and pepper insides, pack with veggies, onion, celery, carrots, apples. Truss. See pic. Lightly oil outside, salt and pepper. Make sure egg is smoking before adding turkey. Plate setter feet up, drip pan, grate. I use another grate, easier to remove. Cook to 140 (thigh). I use a remote thermometer. Baste with soy sauce. Gives it a nice color. Never had a dry one. If making gravy, use carcass, not skin. Too smokey. Looks good enough to eat, don't it?

Comments

• Atl_Buckeye
    Options
    Looks really good!

I did one for TGiving. I did a lot of reading and thought I had it down. However, during the cook the thigh was woefully behind the breast meat. When the breast was at 165 the thigh was at 153. Long story short, I ended up with dry breast (no one wants that)! Great taste but dry. There is a happy ending though, made some fantastic soup!

Any advice to keep the breast and thigh temps correct would certainly be welcomed!!
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Mad Max uses a bag of ice on the breast before putting on egg. His recipe is on Naked Whiz. Also I will assume you know legs to rear of egg. I put my turkey on a rack in a drip pan but don't listen to me, I overcooked the whole thing this year. Breast was around 175 and legs higher when I looked a good half hour before it should have been done.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Atl_Buckeye
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    Mad Max uses a bag of ice on the breast before putting on egg. His recipe is on Naked Whiz. Also I will assume you know legs to rear of egg. I put my turkey on a rack in a drip pan but don't listen to me, I overcooked the whole thing this year. Breast was around 175 and legs higher when I looked a good half hour before it should have been done.
    Crap, the legs to the back makes sense. I know that is the hotter side but orientation of the bird didn't cross my mind.
  • Steve76
    Options
    I did a turkey (16 pounds) for Thanksgiving... Indirect, grate temp steady at 275 with my flame boss in control, legs were untrusted, facing the rear.  Pulled the bird when the breast reached 170, and was disappointed to find the thighs woefully underdone. For Christmas, I'll bump up the grate temp to 300, try the ice pack on the breast prior to cooking, and hope for better results. Comments??
    Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 19
    Options
    I made a mistake. The thigh temp is 165 degrees
  • Steve76
    Options
    OK, Did another turkey for Christmas... Legs to the rear, iced the breast for two hours before placing the rack in the egg, cavity filled with fruit and veggies, grate temp steady at 310F, and the same result- Overcooked breast and underdone leg and thigh. I'm stumped. pissed, actually... I've done pork, ribs, beef, NEVER had trouble, but this turkey thing has become an issue with me! Suggestions, anyone???
    Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  
  • CouplesCaddy
    Options
    the key for me is to spatchcock the turkey, that way everything cooks at a similar rate, i usually end up with the legs 5* higher than the breast which is exactly how we like it.  Give it a try, may want to break out a sawzall to cut the backbone out, but it works.