Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Leg of Lamb

Good Day Ladies and Gentlemen,

Was over at Costco today and made an impulse buy.  Picked up a 5lb boneless leg of lamb.  Now to figure out what and how to do it.  Any suggestions?  Direct?  Indirect? Temp? Estimated time?

Thanks

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    kabobs, 500 degree dome til med/rare. dont go past medium. it marinades well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • For some reason I seam not to like seared lamb fat, so I always trim very well to remove it all. 

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035

Thanks Richard.  Looks good!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2017
    I cut it apart and take off most of the connective tissue.  I'll tie up the pieces into a few pieces with rosemary, thyme, garlic, fresh pepper, and a little olive oil.  I try to make the pieces somewhat even to for cook time consistency. 

I sear over the coals and slow the egg down and let them cook slowly to medium rare. I move them to the sides, away from the hot coals, which is not an issue on the XL.  On a small grill, I'd probably get out the platesetter to finish indirect.

Lamb is a strong meat so I use a stronger wood, typically mesquite with it.  Due to the irregular shapes, I check temps pretty often as they don't all finish at the same time.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I break it down as above though I don't tie any pieces together. It is very easy, you won't even need to guess. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    I have cooked leg of lamb twice over the last 20 years. Both times have resulted in mass coyote poisonings. I guess I'm just not a lamb lover, coming from the Heart of Dixie, Lamb is just not as popular down here.

I would like to give it another try, if I could get a foolproof recipe and proper guidance.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited December 2017
    @GregW - find a rack of lamb.  Then try this recipe;
     1 or more Frenchedlamb rib racks with 7 to 8 ribs each (1 1/4 to 2 pounds for each rack, figure each rack feeds 2-3 people)
    For each rib rack:

·       2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary

·       1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

·       2 cloves garlic, minced

·       Salt

·       Pepper

·       2 Tbsp olive oil

Go raised direct (350-375*F on the dome) til around 130*F, (flip once at around the 15-20 minute mark); likely around 35-40 minutes cook time. Let rest (tented with foil) for about 10 mins and then slice off the chops and enjoy.  FWIW-

For a deboned leg-butterfly and then use the above as a rub and flip around every 20 minutes or so til arriving at the promised land.  Generally in the 45-60 minute time frame, depending on the thickest part (always to the back).    FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    @lousubcap thank you for the recipe. I will see what the store has.
    I have an Alton Brown brined pork butt for cooking tomorrow, maybe I can find lamb for Sunday's cook.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @GregW - appreciate the desire to get back on the horse but for some lamb never connects.  If you want to give it another go, then the above should help with the end-result.  Above all, have fun as I'm sure you will.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yeah, if there are big gobs of fat, you might want to cut those off. I prefer a crushed pistachio and herb crust. Lots of garlic. Maybe tie it shut with a few slices of lemon inside.

Indirect, dome 350. At the size you have, check at 1 hour. If the internal is reaching 135-140, open the vents wide, and let the outside brown, turn it once. Myself, I like a browned outside, around 160, but the internal down around 145F.

Note that lamb can have a wide range of flavors and textures. I made some shoulder steaks I got at the farmer's market with a perticular recipe. We liked them so much, I bought the same cut at a big box store, and prepared the exact same way. My wife did not recognize that it was the same thing we had eaten a week earlier.