Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Low Level Alarm is now clear

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• Nice. I've always found the Bib and Tucker to taste more like rye.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    We made Manhattans over Thanksgiving with Woodford Reserve. I’m a fan now. What is that next to the Maker’s? (I’m not a bourbon connoisseur).
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    SciAggie said:
    We made Manhattans over Thanksgiving with Woodford Reserve. I’m a fan now. What is that next to the Maker’s? (I’m not a bourbon connoisseur).
    It’s Bib & Tucker...I like Old Fashions & started drinking “Elders” after a friend bought me one on my last BDay.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612

Nice. I've always found the Bib and Tucker to taste more like rye.
    My first time trying the B&T so wasn’t sure what to eggspect. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Great assortment.  Living well.
    Pace yourself for the reunion and be prepared to do a lot of bottle recycling once it is in the books.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Excuse my naivity, but I just read a 5 year old review about Maker's 46 saying it has a vanilla and Carmel taste...2 of my favorite tastes. Is that still a good description? If so I can see a bottle in my future. Thanks in advance! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    @RRP give the 46 a google search as there are plenty of recent views out there.  It does have the wheat mash-bill (same as the original MM) so if that appeals to you then I would suggest going to a good bar and ordering a pour neat with ice on the side.  That way you can play around with it to see how it tastes for you w/o buying into a bottle.  Of course the bar will likely charge $10-12 for the pour.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    lousubcap said:
    @RRP give the 46 a google search as there are plenty of recent views out there.  It does have the wheat mash-bill (same as the original MM) so if that appeals to you then I would suggest going to a good bar and ordering a pour neat with ice on the side.  That way you can play around with it to see how it tastes for you w/o buying into a bottle.  Of course the bar will likely charge $10-12 for the pour.  FWIW-
    Invest the $12 in a bottle.  I picked up a 750 for $28.  It won’t go to waste.
  • RRP
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks for the idea, but I'm a bit confused at your suggestion. You say go to a bar for a  straight "glass" of it for $10 - 12 then plus a $2-3 tip or just chance it and buy a whole bottle for $36? I figure even if I don't like it I can always have it for guests or use it for mixed drinks.

• lousubcap
    edited December 2017
    If you can find Maker's 46 for that price then go for it.  Edit:  I'm talking about the 750 ml quantity.  
  • RRP
    Oh, that reminds me. I'm not a Scotch fan, but years ago I bought a $50 bottle of single malt Glenorangie for a friend of mine when he returned from TX for a visit. He only had 2 fingers from it as he was not feeling well. Unfortunately he died of cancer before ever returning. I don't feel I can give that bottle away as the seal is cracked. Anybody have a good recipe to put the rest of that good scotch to a good use? 

BTW @Photoegg you know who mean...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    RRP said:
    Oh, that reminds me. I'm not a Scotch fan, but years ago I bought a $50 bottle of single malt Glenorangie for a friend of mine when he returned from TX for a visit. He only had 2 fingers from it as he was not feeling well. Unfortunately he died of cancer before ever returning. I don't feel I can give that bottle away as the seal is cracked. Anybody have a good recipe to put the rest of that good scotch to a good use? 

Straight up neat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    RRP said:
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks for the idea, but I'm a bit confused at your suggestion. You say go to a bar for a  straight "glass" of it for $10 - 12 then plus a $2-3 tip or just chance it and buy a whole bottle for $36? I figure even if I don't like it I can always have it for guests or use it for mixed drinks.

A 750ml of Makers46 will cost you every bit of $45-49 around here.  Cap gives you $13 option to see if you wanna go all in.  Personally I’d spend that same amount of $$$ and buy Woodford or Eagle Rare.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SSQUAL612
    Just picked up a 750 Makers 46 today for $28
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That’s a good price.  That’s what a 375ml cost around here.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP said:

I'd recommend scotch eggs. Recipe below:

1) hard boil eggs
    2) soak eggs in scotch for extended period. 

=) 
  • SSQUAL612
    edited December 2017
    That’s a good price.  That’s what a 375ml cost around here.  
    Then I’m going to pick up a couple or ten more. 
  • SSQUAL612
    Just ordered 5 more bottles of the Maker's Mark 46 since it's $27.99 for a 750.  I'm ready for a long winter. 
  • lousubcap
    @SSQUAL612  Better to be lucky than good any day.  Thank your lucky stars that wine is over-priced and bourbon vastly under-priced on the left coast.  
    Clean livin' and sheer desire for sure  ;)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    RRP said:
    lousubcap said:

A 750ml of Makers46 will cost you every bit of $45-49 around here.  Cap gives you $13 option to see if you wanna go all in.  Personally I’d spend that same amount of $$$ and buy Woodford or Eagle Rare.  
    Good advice. Woodford and DO Woodford is hard to beat. Makers has more sweetness if that’s a preference. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    I picked up my first bottle of Blantons a few weeks ago. I have been trying to find it for over two years, but the liquor stores around have been allocated to two bottles/month. I'm debating on saving it for a special occasion, maybe news of a kid or something like that. Not sure if I can hold out though. 
    Pratt, KS
  • SSQUAL612
    Picked up the Woodford Reserve 1L  $47.99 & the Woodford Double Oak 750ml $47.99.   Stocked up on the Maker’s 46 @$27.99....Earthquake Preparedness & Christmas gifts. 
  • SSQUAL612
    MattBTI said:
    I picked up my first bottle of Blantons a few weeks ago. I have been trying to find it for over two years, but the liquor stores around have been allocated to two bottles/month. I'm debating on saving it for a special occasion, maybe news of a kid or something like that. Not sure if I can hold out though. 
    Just curious...what’s the price point on Blanton’s?  Haven’t had that one.  Perhaps Commander Extraordinaire & Bourbon Afficionado @lousubcap   can give us a rating of this particular specimen?
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    I believe I payed $62-ish after tax for a 750 of original single barrel. 
    Pratt, KS
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Double Oak is my favorite. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    RRP said:
    lousubcap said:

Eagle Rare is a great value, very good price for the quality.  You can't hardly find it in my area though.  A lot of stores will let you get on a waiting list for it and I have several friends that buy it by the case when they find it.  Woodford is my go to bourbon though, pretty much always have it on hand, then will experiment with other brands occasionally.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • lousubcap
    edited December 2017
    Blanton's arrives at the local high volume huge adult beverage store on about two Fridays a month.  They get around 4-5 Blanton's each time.  It runs $54/750 ml bottle.  The Buffalo Trace line is quite broad with several brands including PVW, Blanton's, Eagle Rare and Weller's among others.  FWIW-
    Edit:  I enjoy Blanton's when the timing is right for me to find it in the store. 
  • For the folks that like the MM 46, what you think about Angel's Envy?  Have you tried their Rye?

Been on a Wathan's and 4 Roses Small Batch kick lately.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    RRP said:
    Excuse my naivity, but I just read a 5 year old review about Maker's 46 saying it has a vanilla and Carmel taste...2 of my favorite tastes. Is that still a good description? If so I can see a bottle in my future. Thanks in advance! 
    Ron, if you aren’t a whiskey drinker, don’t be fooled into thinking it tastes like vanilla or caramel. Unless you have a refined whiskey pallet, you will taste whiskey and likely harsh whiskey. It’s an acquired taste for most. I’m hooked. 
  • SSQUAL612
    @RRP My friend introduced me to a cocktail called the Elder.   For the hardcore Bourbon drinkers who only have it neat or on the rocks they will cringe, but I will admit I enjoy them from time to time.   You start with a small wedge of orange with some pulp on the peel and muddle it together with a couple of dashes of bitters...add rocks then 2 parts bourbon and 1 part St Germain.  Still get the bourbon flavor and finish, but easier drinking.   If you look up the recipe you'll find variances that include ginger beer, etc.   My taste is for the one I detailed above.