Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork belly + SV + Egg sear = good.

Options
Hi all,

As the subject mentions, and as I'm sure lots of you know, there are some combinations that just work so well.

This is my 2nd time doing belly w/o removing the skin, and letting the SV bath melt it. 48 hours at 140F, followed by a sear skin side down on the Egg, grill at low level. Dome was just under 400F. Not quite getting where I wanted it. Opened the vents to go to 550, flipped the slab a couple of times over maybe 7 minutes.

Pretty good. The skin hand no tough left, and was slightly crispy. Meat side got some good grill marks.

When cut still warm, was at the pulling stage, and even a good knife was just making it fall apart. The remainder is chilling now, and I suppose will slice fine tomorrow.

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    delicious!  what was the seasoning?  did you have any seasoning on it during the SV?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I used a bunch of Penzey's Galena Street rub. A gift from my SIL. The other branch of the same family runs the Spice House, and their Bronzeville rub is similar, but more intense, and one of my favorites. So I used a lot, which was good, because the SV bag had a small leak, and most of the spices oozed out into the bath. (I'm cooking that down now for pork stock) So I smeared Walkerwood jerk sauce over the meat side before the sear.

Lucked out, texture was very good, flavor was better than average.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I did a similar thing a few years ago at Christmas. I scored the skin rather than removing and went 76 hours in the SV. Reheated on a steel skin down. Just cut it into cubes and served it with some Saigon sriracha on the side. Man it lasted like two minutes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    Options
    I did a similar thing a few years ago at Christmas. I scored the skin rather than removing and went 76 hours in the SV. Reheated on a steel skin down. Just cut it into cubes and served it with some Saigon sriracha on the side. Man it lasted like two minutes
    Yeah, I was really happy w. how the skin melted into gel. I need more work on crisping the gel. Still, meat that can almost be inhaled. Yum-m-m.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    That looks and sounds awesome @gdenby
    Snellville, GA

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Yeah, I was really happy w. how the skin melted into gel. I need more work on crisping the gel. Still, meat that can almost be inhaled. Yum-m-m.
    Almost sounds like a deep fry finish would work well?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • gdenby
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    gdenby said:
    The recipe that got me going, which I seem to have failed to book mark, cooked the belly at a hotter temp, for a shorter time, then seared in a broiler. The skin turned out looking much like cracklings. As I mentioned, I didn't have the Egg up quite high enough, and I probably should have used a towel on the skin side.

As wet at the whole things was, I wonder if deep frying wouldn't get a steam explosion.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Photo Egg said:
    gdenby said:
    The recipe that got me going, which I seem to have failed to book mark, cooked the belly at a hotter temp, for a shorter time, then seared in a broiler. The skin turned out looking much like cracklings. As I mentioned, I didn't have the Egg up quite high enough, and I probably should have used a towel on the skin side.

As wet at the whole things was, I wonder if deep frying wouldn't get a steam explosion.
    Can it be patted/blotted dry a little before the high temp finish without it falling apart? Seems like it being real wet would hinder all types of a finish.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas