Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first long cook (20 hours) with my new SMOBOT

Options
pinballLooking
pinballLooking Posts: 127
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum

Once I had it up to temp 225 degrees. I did not touch it until the cook was 180 degrees. I cut part of it off for lunch. Then I bumped the temp to 230 degrees. This was so good.

I really like my SMOBOT I slept well knowing it was being adjusted. I just wish I have bought it sooner.

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I can’t say enough good things about smobot.  Really is a great product made by two great guys that are forum members too boot!
  • pinballLooking
    pinballLooking Posts: 127
    edited December 2017
    Options

I have done 3 cooks so far it have performed very well each cook. I had a support question and that was answered super fast.

I used this USB power supply. It was recommended by smobot. This one does not go asleep like a couple of my other ones I have here.

It was cheap $12 shipped and worked great 20 hours and only used one dot of the power out of four dots.     

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013L3J10W/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apap_mtc7WaxuAcFVp

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Food looks great and graph shows rock steady temps. Awesome.
    Stillwater, MN
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That's a nice looking cook.

I remember how soft I felt when I caved and bought a Stoker (after a long night baby sitting a butt when it was snowing in Chicago).  I've slept well ever since.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • stompbox
    Options
    Yes, as a light sleepers in our house.... this device is worth its weight in gold (for me).

the days of alarms going off and getting kicked to the couch for the night are over.  I used to be in a rotten mood for parties just from not sleeping and then stressing over the party.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I have a question for smobot users.  Do you have a second daisy wheel or smokeware cap, or do you unattached the smobot when you don't need it?

I am considering buying one, but I think I would only want to use it for low and slow cooks.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • pinballLooking
    Options

I had a smokeware cap so I used it tonight when I cooked steaks.

I have only had SMOBOT for three cooks.

I did sleep very well while it was cooking. Well worth it.

• jeponline
    Options
    I have a question for smobot users.  Do you have a second daisy wheel or smokeware cap, or do you unattached the smobot when you don't need it?

I am considering buying one, but I think I would only want to use it for low and slow cooks.
    I’m just keeping the Smobot attached all the time. I only ever used the daisy wheel for indirect cooks lower than 350, so I’ll just fire up the Smobot as well for those cooks now. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • stompbox
    Options

I have more than one egg, so the smobot is permanently attached to one daisy, I just move which one I need to use to the one I am using. It is simple to take it off though. 
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Mine is being shipped, but I plan on using a smokeware cap when smbot is not being used
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    jeponline said:

I’m just keeping the Smobot attached all the time. I only ever used the daisy wheel for indirect cooks lower than 350, so I’ll just fire up the Smobot as well for those cooks now. 
    What he said. If I'm not using the Smobot I won't need a daisy wheel for the cook.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Eric told me on another thread that to use the regular daisy wheel, leave the mechanism closed and just not attach it to the controller.
    Judy in San Diego
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Thanks y'all for responding.  I guess I'm just an old fart set in my ways.  Been using that daisy wheel for ages, and I know how to dial it in.  I think I will opt for an additional daisy wheel when I get the Smobot.
    Memphis, TN 

• jeponline
    Options
    Thanks y'all for responding.  I guess I'm just an old fart set in my ways.  Been using that daisy wheel for ages, and I know how to dial it in.  I think I will opt for an additional daisy wheel when I get the Smobot.
    Just out of curiosity, what scenario do you see where you need the daisy wheel that the Smobot won’t be useful?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options

It can be handled several ways,  if I just want to throw something on quick.  If under 350-375, I just manually adjust the smobot without attaching it to the controller.  Anything over 375, I just remove the cap and adjust with the bottom vent.  Now days most of my cooks are below 375, so I just plug it in and let the controller do its thing (I have gotten lazy). 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    jeponline said:
    Just out of curiosity, what scenario do you see where you need the daisy wheel that the Smobot won’t be useful?
    When I'm doing a short cook like burgers, and don't want to deal with probes and wires and plugging things in. I guess a can do as mentioned above and control things with the bottom vent.  That will be a learning curve for me - I've been controlling mostly with the daisy wheel for almost 15 years.
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    dsleight said:

It can be handled several ways,  if I just want to throw something on quick.  If under 350-375, I just manually adjust the smobot without attaching it to the controller.  Anything over 375, I just remove the cap and adjust with the bottom vent.  Now days most of my cooks are below 375, so I just plug it in and let the controller do its thing (I have gotten lazy). 
    Thanks - this makes good sense - didn't think of manually adjusting the SMBOT
    Memphis, TN 

• Verndog
    Options
    I love my new Smobot and it will make some cooks a whole lot easier.  I kind of enjoy playing with the Daisy wheel and not dealing with all the wires sometimes, so have asked Santa for a Smokeware top so I can still fiddle while enjoying my favorite beverage.  My first use with the Smobot I noticed I didn't seem to use as much lump so it may actually be a cost savings??
  • pinballLooking
    Options

After a 20 hour plus cook I still had lump left over I used it last night and cooked some steaks.

• reinhart36
    Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback and support.

Please note, that like @dsleight said, we fully intend for the user to manually manipulate the servo damper when you don't want to use a controller.

I do plenty of manual cooks, but just leave my smobot damper on all the time.  The wire hangs off the back side of the grill, so I don't even notice it.

Thanks again!
    Eric
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback and support.

Please note, that like @dsleight said, we fully intend for the user to manually manipulate the servo damper when you don't want to use a controller.

I do plenty of manual cooks, but just leave my smobot damper on all the time.  The wire hangs off the back side of the grill, so I don't even notice it.

Thanks again!
    Eric
    My SmoBot has been on my grill since I got it. It's exposed to the elements 24/7.

I've been wondering how the cord and the servo are going to react to long term UV exposure. Been thinking that perhaps I should coil up the cord and just fold up some aluminum foil over it to lessen the UV.

Any thoughts on this?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk