Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWoo Combo Questions

Options
run53
run53 Posts: 121
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
So far, with the help of the wonderful folks on the forum, I have had 4 successful cooks since I bought my Large Egg 10 days ago. The wealth of material here is amazing. 

I did a spatchcock chicken on a home made raised grill (SS nut,washers and bolts)  this weekend and it was fabulous. I also cooked some roasted red potatoes on the same stock grate. However it was pretty tight fit, so I was thinking of a double grate setup with taters on top level would be better. Since I already have a platesetter, I was thinking the PSWoo Combo (Woo, extender and sliding D grid) was my best bet. Can this be used without the platesetter to raise the first level to the felt line and then the extender would be up in the dome? Also, can the Woo be used to raise the grate to felt line even without the platesetter in use (for direct cooks)? 

Since I also do pizzas, I think this will also be a good setup for getting the pizza high in the dome.  It looks like I can fit a 16" stone on the extender. Can anyone confirm?

If I get even more daring, I would like to try cooking 2 pizzas, one at felt line and the other higher in the dome on the extender. I have (2) 16" stones. Would they both fit in this arrangement? Would there be enough airflow with the (2) 16" stones in there or would it be better to have smaller stones? 

Anyways, I think the PSWoo is a better choice for me than the Adjustable rig since I already have the platesetter. Does this logic makes sense. 

Large BGE - 2017
PSWoo with extention
Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Yes to all of your questions. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Yes! Love my Woo ... since I've owned it (2yrs) I can't remember the last time I actually touched my platesetter. I'd also look into a 'spider' with cast iron grate - it's awesome for searing just above the lump.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • run53
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    since I've owned it (2yrs) I can't remember the last time I actually touched my platesetter. 
    Interesting....what do you use for indirects? Isn't one of the main advantages of the PSWoo that the platesetter fits right in it? 
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Given you have a platesetter you are the correct track with the above rig.  I also run with the PSWoo2 and extender.  As noted above, it does all you asked about.  
    Should you have any other questions, I would call the ceramic grill store direct.  You will get straight talk about your concerns.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    run53 said:
    SoCalTim said:
    since I've owned it (2yrs) I can't remember the last time I actually touched my platesetter. 
    Interesting....what do you use for indirects? Isn't one of the main advantages of the PSWoo that the platesetter fits right in it? 
    when you raise the levels a simple pan, or just foil works well enough for low and slow indirects. you can even get away with hotter grill temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    If you get the woo you won't need the spider...it's built in so you can add a cast iron grate for searing like @SoCalTim mentioned above.   You can also reverse it to raise your stone into the dome for pizza.    Lots of options...I have the Woo and Adj Rig and use them frequently.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • jeponline
    Options
    I use my pswoo all the time, whether I am using the plate setter or not. I got the combo like your thinking of and use the extender to cook spatchcock chicken without the plate setter and pizza with it. 

Recently it it also made my life a lot easier when I had to relight a fire that went out. I recommend the combo for anyone that already has a plate setter. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • run53
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback....this place never disappoints. You folks are the best!!!!
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I spent 45 min at CGS in person deciding what parts to get.  I ended up with the PS Woo and two half ceramic plates and the PS Woo platform that supports the half stone(s).  I think I have used the PlateSetter once since I got it and that was for Pizza.  My usual set up is half raised direct/ half indirect with my two stones. 

I need to go back and get the extender, tried the raised grid on the post recently and didnt like it. 
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    I would recommend smaller stones.  I have the PSWoo and tried to use a 15" stone up top with the BGE platesetter and had a lot of problems trying to get enough airflow to reach 600+F.  The stones may fit, I just don't believe there is enough clearance in the dome for high temperatures.  Possibly others have had a better experience......
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Yes to your questions.... PSWoo is in my egg 99.9% of the time whether direct or indirect...  only take it out when needing to do a real sear....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • run53
    Options
    Thanks folks! ordered my PSWoo Combo this morning :-)
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass