Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Nuts

Well I tried to smoke nuts for the first time in my BGE and I have to tell you, they turned out spectacular. Basically took two 2.5 pound containers of unsalted mixed nuts and cashews, slightly salted and through them in the BGE for two hours with some hickory chunks. Let air dry for a couple of hours and put back into the containers for storage.

Anyone else tried smoking nuts and what is the best wood to use?
I EGG, therefore I am.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Website
YouTube

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited July 2015
    Looks Great, can you share your set up/method/temp
    Thanks
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Very cool!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Looks Great, can you share your set up/method/temp
    Thanks
    Hi @Grillmagic. I have a post on my website about how I smoked the nuts, but I understand that links here are a no-no. =) Here is what I do. Set the temp to around 215 degrees Fahrenheit. I like to use my DigiQ BBQ Guru for temp control. Before I put my nuts into the aluminum trays, I take a knife and make six quarter size holes in the bottom of the pans. That way the smoke can come up through the bottom of the nuts as well. Once I am ready to smoke, I took four or five chunks of hickory and put them on to to the coals in the center of the BGE. Close the lid and let smoke for two hours. 

With the moisture retained in the BGE, the nuts will come out a little bit soggy at first, so make sure you are aware of this. Nothing like a soggy, hickory mouth full of smoke. Yikes! I then took the nuts out, put them on a couple of cookie sheets and let them air out. They turned out spectacular.

I EGG, therefore I am.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Website
    YouTube
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Looks Great, can you share your set up/method/temp
    Thanks
    Hi @Grillmagic. I have a post on my website about how I smoked the nuts, but I understand that links here are a no-no. =) Here is what I do. Set the temp to around 215 degrees Fahrenheit. I like to use my DigiQ BBQ Guru for temp control. Before I put my nuts into the aluminum trays, I take a knife and make six quarter size holes in the bottom of the pans. That way the smoke can come up through the bottom of the nuts as well. Once I am ready to smoke, I took four or five chunks of hickory and put them on to to the coals in the center of the BGE. Close the lid and let smoke for two hours. 

With the moisture retained in the BGE, the nuts will come out a little bit soggy at first, so make sure you are aware of this. Nothing like a soggy, hickory mouth full of smoke. Yikes! I then took the nuts out, put them on a couple of cookie sheets and let them air out. They turned out spectacular.

Thanks for the follow up and your time, what keeps the nuts from falling through the holes? Would a Pizza screen work?

Thanks

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I was going mountain oysters..... :frowning: 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Looks Great, can you share your set up/method/temp
    Thanks

Thanks for the follow up and your time, what keeps the nuts from falling through the holes? Would a Pizza screen work?

Thanks

Hi @Grillmagic. I think just the weight of all the nuts didn't make them fall through the holes. None fell through, but I suppose you could put a Pizza screen underneath. 

I EGG, therefore I am.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Website
    YouTube

• I was going mountain oysters..... :frowning: 
    Well played @tarheelmatt. Well played. 

I EGG, therefore I am.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Website
    YouTube
  • Just getting ready to smoke some nuts after finishing 8 lbs. of cheddar. I use a large and a medium perforated aluminum pizza sheet tiered with ceramic ramekins. Using hickory today but have used cherry or apple in the past. I use a standard plate setter set up and smoke for 1/2 hr at about 250. After the nuts are smoked, I use a recipe from Epicurious for "Crisp Spiced Nuts" It's a sweet and spicy mix that is enhanced with the smoke flavor. I give my Drs. offices the nuts for Christmas....they frown on sausage and cheese ;)
    I came here expecting more of these comments to be honest... 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    ccrocke9 said:
    I was going mountain oysters..... :frowning: 

maybe you were thinking of the schweddy balls thread? - a holiday fav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9t5AJNF0so

Phoenix 
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    We're the cashews raw or pre-roasted?