Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

confit question

Options
Simcan
Simcan Posts: 287
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
Appealing to the egghead community, who seem to know how to cook a lot more than just on the Egg, about turkey confit.  I am making it tonight with whole turkey legs (also doing a Franklin breast).  I have already marinated the legs for a day (clementine juice and peels, pureed chipotle in adobo, a bunch of thyme and olive oil) and then confit'd them for a few hours in olive oil.  Let cool, and in the fridge overnight.

There are about fifty different ways online on how to finish the confit so I am looking for some guidance on the best way.  I have heard reheat the oil with the legs in it, then sear in cast iron.  I have heard take out of cold oil, sear and then put in an oven for 30 minutes.  I have heard put skin side down in a cold cast iron and then turn on medium high heat until crispy.  Etc. etc.

So, what do you think?
Toronto ON

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    How long did you simmer it in the oil and at what temp? It will make a difference in the finished product and affect the reheating.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Simcan
    Options
    @Little Steven I covered them in olive oil in a le creuset, and put in a 250 oven for about 4 hours, and then l sat it on the counter for two hours to cool, and then into the fridge overnight.
    Toronto ON
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Just re-read your method and you haven't done a true confit. Confit was a preservation method used prior to refrigeration. It starts with a short dry cure (24 to 48 hours) in salt, spices and herbs under weight. This is done to flavour the meat and remove moisture. You have done a marinade followed by a slow cook in oil and the result will be different. 
     After the cure you would do a low temp cook cook for a long time at low temp submerged in fat. It is then stored in the fat to protect from air and bacteria.
    If you are not storing it you remove the meat from the fat when it has cooled but not congealed. The reason being it will be too tender to do it while hot and would fall apart. Then you would reheat fast and hot to crisp the skin. 
    I think your meat will be cooked but maybe not as tender (or fall apart) as a real confit. I usually go overnight at 200*
    I think it will stand up to straight grilling but you should be able to tell by pinching the meat. If it doesn't flake apart you can grill it. If it does then do it in a pan on the egg. Either way it should be good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    This is a pretty good example of the method.

http://how2heroes.com/videos/appetizers/cured-duck-confit

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Simcan
    Options
    Thanks, @Little Steven

So, perhaps I should put it in the oven now at 200 for it to cook more up until the sear in five or six hours?
    Toronto ON
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I don't know. It depends on how much it cooked at 250* I would check the texture now and see how it is. If you do put it back submerged in the oil leave yourself time to get it thoroughly cooled before you reheat cause it will fall apart. If it doesn't fall apart maybe give it a few hours on the egg at 250* indirect until you serve it. It might crisp up like that and if it doesn't just open the vents until it does.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Sent you a PM with my phone number.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Sent you a PM with my phone number.
    Nice to see you back, my Canadian brother. Where had you been hiding?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    So how did it turn out? Pics?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Simcan
    Options
    @Little Steven it turned out great, thanks.  No pics, sorry about that, but I will DEFINITELY be making turkey legs this way again.  I ended up (as I told you in PM) cooking it another four hours at 200, and it was just silky and delicious and falling apart, which was a great contrast to the skin, which crisped up beautifully in the cast iron pan. All my guests and family were raving about it.

If only I could say the same thing about the breast, which looked and tasted great but I way overcooked so it was superdry.  Just lost track of time and temp ran to almost 180.

Now that I have a minute I will check out your confit link.
    Toronto ON