Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

nice glaze

char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried Rhum and Jerk's version of turkey breast over the weekend and I just want to report that rubbing vegetable oil mixed with a little honey produced a deep color on the turkey skin and made it crispy. Here is what I remember. I put the breast in a v-rack in a drip pan at temps ranging between 350 and 400* - dome. I prepped the turkey with maybe a quarter-cup of veggie oil (actually olive oil) and maybe a tablespoon of honey mixed in. I rubbed this stuff all over the breast (I could say stuff here, but I won't), then worked some cracked pepper and lemon zest into the oil and under the turkey skin (maybe a tablespoon of peppercorns - cracked - and a lemon's worth of zest). [p]I cooked it over a chunk of pecan wood that still had bark on it. I read somewhere that bark intensives smoke flavor. All I know is that the turkey had a "to die for" glaze and the skin was crispy - a little like peking duck. After trying this, Rhum and Jerk went around saying "flat out wow." Well, he was right. It was flat out wow. [p]Maybe I should try this for Eggfest. Then again wings would be nice. But somebody has got to make ribs. But then again...........[p]Char buddy[p]

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    char buddy, so happens I've had a 7# breast brining for 24hr now in the salt & brown sugar mixture and will soon put it on for supper tonight and your post caught my eye. Had you brined yours or was that in lieu of brining? I don't want to get too many tastes in the bird for fear of hitting some offsets to mess it up, but did already plan to use my usual slathering of olive oil. I'm planning to use apple chips for smoke. Any thoughts from you or anybody else would be appreciated! BTW anybody want any of this %^&* snow? I'm getting sick of it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,[p]Keep the snow. I didn't brine, but only because I did not have time. For me brining adds a cleaner aftertaste - if that makes any sense.[p]Good luck. Hope this post is not too late. Share how it turned out.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    char buddy, yes it was too late, however that was the first time I have used that simple brine solution AND apple chips. By far that was the best turkey we've ever had! Proves again even simple things are superb on Mr Egg!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.