Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid Gap issues....

Options
So I was cleaning out the Egg this morning, getting ready for cooking up a turkey, pulled out the firebox scooped out the all the ash and put all back in and tried to close the lid...now I have about 1/16"-1/8" gap on the right side (looking down there is no gap at 7-8 o'clock and the widest gap at 1-2.)  I broke out the wrenches and loosened up the top band got everything gapped nice and tight and started tightening the band again, as it gets tight the gap comes back, tried this 3 or 4 times and each time as I tighten the band the gap at 1 o'clock opens right back up.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    If you are 1/16 to 1/8" side to side overbite/underbite is NOTHING to be concerned about. OK? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Not a horizontal gap, it has a vertical gap.  As in smoke and heat will be pouring out.   No need for a dollar test, I could do a cardboard test and it would fail.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    The planes of your dome and base are out of whack. Close the dome, and loosen the band bolts so that the dome will move. Then press very very hard on the dome so the dome moves down against the base and you have no gap. Tighten the bolts. There may be an issue that your bands have ridden up and need to be shifted. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Is it an XL? Sometimes the springs on the XL actually lift the dome off the base. Tough one to fix. Have to force the lad down by exaggerating the band adjustment. Secondly you can remove a spring. 
  • lwrehm
    Options
    It is a large.  I have loosened the top band, got the gap to close, BUT then when I tighten the top band it pulls the gap open again.  I did the loosen, close gap, tighten process 4 or 5 times and it opens up every time I tighten it.
  • lwrehm
    Options
    Just tried again, when top bank is loose she is closed up nice and even all the way around, but when I tighten the top band the left side of the lid is lifting.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Loosen both. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Sounds like someone could sure use the 'new' design band.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • lwrehm
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Sounds like someone could sure use the 'new' design band.
    Not a bad idea...I have to stop in at the store where I bought the egg and talk to them about a crack I noticed as well(its just not a good day for me), it starts in the lower corner of the air vent and runs across the center of the bottom of the egg.  The crack is not "open" but I'm afraid if I loosen the bottom lid band that process may trigger that crack to open up and I have a complete failure.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I had the same problem years ago. It turned out the lip that the bands are on were beveled inward. When the bands were tightened, it sort of forced the dome upwards. No amount of forcing down would hold the dome tight to the base.  Even if it looked like everything was lined up, after opening and closing the dome the gap would show up. I actually used some boards and woodworking clamps to hold things together while I tightened the bands. After talking with Bruce from headquarters it was determined my ceramics being beveled was the cause and they replaced my dome under warranty. Never had a problem since. I had pictures, but that was over ten years ago and they are long gone.

The new bands might solve this but I'd call headquarters in Atlanta first. They had me send pictures and took only a couple hours in total to authorize my replacement.