Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Redfish Question

Geaux Tigers
Geaux Tigers Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Caught a monster Red yesterday and was thinking of blackening him on the BGE. Any advice? The plan was to throw the fillets into a hot cast iron skillet on the BGE. If anybody has a better suggestion please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Geaux Tigers,
    If you have a propane burner like a turkey fryer, I think it would be a better heat source than the Egg. You want the pan to be very hot, beyond red hot. Also don't try it indoors! I'm jealous, the best day of fishing I ever had was in the brackish waters outside of New Orleans, caught lots of redfish. Where did you catch yours? -RP

• AZRP,
    Galveston Bay, Texas.

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Geaux Tigers,[p]Paul Prudhomme sells a Blackened Redfish spice mix. Remember, You cannot get the pan to hot. Just dip the filets in butter, coat with spice and slap in the pan. If you have access to his Louisiana Kitchen Cookbood, it has the spice recipe and procedure. I think he drizzes a little butter on the top of the filet while the bottom is cooking. You are going to generate a lot of smoke. When I moved here in 1985, the limit on reds was 50 per day with one over 26". I definitely cooked a lot of redfish back then.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Geaux Tigers,
    I have done them on the egg before. If you have a turkey fryer, I would do them on there. Eitehr way, flip the cast iron skillet so you are cooking on the bottom. This retians the heat and helps it get hotter.
    Congrats! I never developed a true taste for reds and usually throw them back. Now, Mangrove Snapper and Sheepshead is a different story.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Geaux Tigers,
    When I blacken a piece of fish, I usually just coat with butter,salt and cayenne pepper. I have thought about using Old Bay also but never tried it. What do you use for a coating. [p]Chef Jerry

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Wardster,[p]It is usually a waste to kill and cook a large red. I prefer the smaller ones - less than 7 pounds. I threw away the sheepshead for years until someone told me they are used as a substitute for crab in a lot of dishes. Just boil the fillets in a fine mesh with some lemon juice in the water. I also blacken them and also cook them in foil with lemon, butter, onion and spices. Got to watch the teeth and gill plate tho.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Geaux Tigers,
    Lots of great Redfish in Galveston.
    Do you have any friends in the League City PD?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Personally, Billy, I think Sheepshead is the best tasting fish swimming around out there! Look me up next week and I'll give you a taste of my wild Alaska Salmon.....

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Wardster, Don't give up on the reds bro. Smoked til firm, thay make a super spread. Or, coated with dijon and Firewalk and smoked til firm--very good. They need to be a little more done than most white meat fish IMHO.
    Scott