Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not a vegan, but close...

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My sister-in-law is coming over for dinner tomorrow night. As the title indicates, she eats no meat, but will eat some fish. I've done salmon quite a bit, but my egg has never seen a tuna steak. Does anybody out there have a "knock-'em dead" tuna recipe?
Thanks in advance!
bd

Comments

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    bdavidson,
    if God hadn't intended us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them taste so GOOD!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I have only done tuna once, and I found out what I already knew! It is very easy to overcook. Two minutes a side at high temps is perfect. IMO tuna should be fresh, and cooked to medium rare at most. Ginger and teryaki make great candidates for flavoring. Tuna gets dry very quicky. I like it RED in the middle. Not sure if you'll knock em dead, but whatever you do, don't overcook it![p]BTW, If you don't get any other great ideas, I would consider a 1 hour marinade with fresh ginger, teryaki. Then make a paste with more ginger, dijon mustard, green peppercorns, olive or sesame oil, and a tbsp citrus splash, and a bit of salt. Slather the tuna, and cook it hot and fast. [p]By far I am not an expert here, but this is what I would do if I were to do it.[p]FWIW!!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature Boy (aka "Ginger Boy")
    Thanks for the tips. I may just do that teryaki/ginger combo. Sounds good. I'll let you know what transpires. Like I said, I've not done tuna, but getting a little tired of salmon, and thought I should give it a try.
    bd

• bdavidson
    Options
    I agree. Preach it, Huck!
    :-)

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Amen. I am a card carrying member of PETA
    ( People Eating Tasty Animals ).[p]Chuck

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson, Yeah, I am kinda hooked on ginger. Please keep us posted on what you do. I am getting tired of salmon too....it always seems to taste the same no matter what you do....though I am learning something by experimenting with short brines.[p]Tuna is a great change of pace, but a whole diiferent piece of meat. Very lean.[p]Look forward to hearing of your results, and if anyone else has a real recipe!
    Cheers to you, and all of your family!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Huck,
    I've always heard that as:[p]If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.[p]Of course for me, meat = taste good, so they are the same really. ;-)[p]Mike[p]

• bdavidson,[p]My brother is similar in his beliefs, except he will not even eat fish. With this in mind I always do a lot of beggies on the egg, and my personal favorite is to make a tray out of aluminium foil and put asparagus in it. Flavor them with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper and egg em for 20 minutes at 300 degrees. Perfect.[p]egg on
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    bdavidson, I prefer my tuna out of a can, but I learned this method from an online cooking class using 3/4 tuna steaks about 8 oz. each.[p]Marinate tuna in extra-virgin olive oli for at least an hour. The oil tenderizes the fish in much the same way that marbling tenderizes beef. The oil coats the strands of protein, making the tuna steak feel moist in the mouth even after most of the moisture has been cooked out of it.[p]Before grilling, direct, over a vey hot fire, brush with more olive oil & season with salt & pepper. Grill until well seared and grill marks appear - about 1 1/2 minutes. Flip and grill until fish is cooked to medium: opaque throughout, yet translucent at the very center when checked with the point of a paring knife - about 1-1 1/2 minutes more. Serve immediately with a fruit salsa. I prefer using mangoes in the recipe below.[p]SIMPLE PEACH SALSA
    Makes about 3 cups
    If you don't have peaches, you can substitute a number of other
    yellow-orange fruits, including mangoes, pineapples, and
    papaya.
    2 ripe but not mushy peaches, pitted and chopped coarse
    1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced thin
    1 small red onion, cut into long, thin slices
    cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1 medium clove garlic, minced
    cup pineapple juice
    6 tablespoons juice from 3 medium limes
    1 jalapeño or other medium hot chile pepper, minced
    Salt and ground black pepper
    Mix all ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste, in
    medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate to blend flavors, at least 1
    hour or up to 4 days.[p]Bone appetit! JCA

• bdavidson
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Sounds great, Julie.
    Thanks.
    Incidentally, I have to place another Jerk sauce order. If you're planning to attend EggFest '01, I'll buy some from you there.
    bd

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I LOVE shark. A little olive oil, salt and pepper. CHINGOWA!

• Re. not overcooking -- should be a very rare streak in the middle -- keep in mind that this is a dense fish that keeps on cooking after you take it off the grill. If it comes off rare to medium rare, it may be gray in the center once cut at the table. There's no reason to worry about tuna being rare, it's not a fish where parasites are a problem (as may be the case with salmon that isn't cooked to the point of just flaking). It is used all the time for sushi. km